Off flavor in Porter before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I brewed a Porter (BIAB) about 4 weeks ago. I just took a measurement of 1.014 but noticed a odd smell. Best way I can describe it is Stale and Yeasty. So I tasted it, kind a tastes like it smells. Didn't taste like a porter at all. Has anyone ever had a beer that didn't taste good before bottling that turned out good after conditioning? The reason I'm asking is that I have made several beers that tasted pretty good before bottling. This is the first one that really tasted weird to me. Also the first time I used a starter w/ stir plate.

I don't know about "bad" taste before bottling, but I have noticed that bottling really does change the taste. Give it time to age in the bottle, then make your decision. But come back and let us know! Everybody says "bottle it and let it ride, you'll be fine" but nobody ever comes back to say how it worked out. Just to encourage the next person that comes along. :)

I almost dumped a 5 gal. batch of an IPA I made that about a half a ago. It had a sour taste due to the yeast strain I used(whose profile looked up after I used it) and I let it sit for 5 extra days while I pondered whether to bottle it. Lo and behold, it become a really nice beer in the bottle, so that lesson has been learned by me. As long as you know it isn't infected, bottle it and wait. You might be suprised.

I almost dumped a 5 gal. batch of an IPA I made that about a half a ago. It had a sour taste due to the yeast strain I used(whose profile looked up after I used it) and I let it sit for 5 extra days while I pondered whether to bottle it. Lo and behold, it become a really nice beer in the bottle, so that lesson has been learned by me. As long as you know it isn't infected, bottle it and wait. You might be suprised.

Everything looks good about the porter. Just smells like I sat a beer out for 2 days. Stale and yeasty. But yeah I will bottle it and wait. Just hoping some one else have ran across the same smell and taste.

Watch oxidation as it will leave a bready, then stale cardboard flavor over time. Bready flavor can also come from your recipe depending on what specialty malts were used. As for the yeast, if it is near expiration you need to do a yeast starter. Those dead cells will impact your flavor if not enough living healthy cells are there to get the job done properly and in a timely fashion. Less stress and proper pitching rate of viable cells will lead to a cleaner fermentation, better flocculation, less off flavors (providing proper fermentation temps are carried out), and better yeast character as described in its profile.

And always package it. Often the worst beers will smooth out over time. I made a massive mistake once using peppermint that took 4 years to even become tasteable (if thats even a word). It took a few more years to smooth out.

What's your recipe look like, and what yeast did you use?

I did the Midwest Porter, http://www.midwestsupplies.com/porter-all-grain-kit.html

I didn't end up using the yeast I originally got for this Porter from Midwest. I had purchased the wyeast London ale 1028 for this but I brewed the Cream Stout (which used the same yeast) a week before and had way better efficiency then I had planned. Since I didn't have a starter ready I pitched both Wyeast London ale packets. So I ended up getting White Labs Burton Ale from LHBS for the Porter. I did a starter for this and it reached the FG with no problems. The Porter looks fine just smells bready and yeasty which I'm starting to think the yeast was bad. It does not taste like a porter at all because of this.

I did the Midwest Porter, http://www.midwestsupplies.com/porter-all-grain-kit.html

I didn't end up using the yeast I originally got for this Porter from Midwest. I had purchased the wyeast London ale 1028 for this but I brewed the Cream Stout (which used the same yeast) a week before and had way better efficiency then I had planned. Since I didn't have a starter ready I pitched both Wyeast London ale packets. So I ended up getting White Labs Burton Ale from LHBS for the Porter. I did a starter for this and it reached the FG with no problems. The Porter looks fine just smells bready and yeasty which I'm starting to think the yeast was bad. It does not taste like a porter at all because of this.

If the yeast performed and fermented and you hit all your numbers then the yeast wasn't bad, it did what it was supposed to do. Bready and yeasty could just be because the beer is just not ready yet and needs more time time, or the yeast brought these characteristics out of the grain bill used.

If the yeast performed and fermented and you hit all your numbers then the yeast wasn't bad, it did what it was supposed to do. Bready and yeasty could just be because the beer is just not ready yet and needs more time time, or the yeast brought these characteristics out of the grain bill used.

I was thinking about cold crashing this for a few days and see if it improves. What do you think?

You tasted green un-carbed beer. Bottle it and try one in a few weeks. Bet you it tastes alot better. I love sampling beer when I check gravity and when I bottle. Some times it's pretty good but most times it doesn't taste good at all. A few times I thought I had made vinegar yet given time I had great beer. Just give it time to carb and I bet you will have a great beer. I found it is really hard to f up beer so bad that it is not drinkable.

Sorry I did not pick up on the "Before bottling" aspect, yes, you cannot truly judge a beer before it has been packaged and conditioned/carbonated. Most "green beer" samples do not give a beer the justice it deserves so you need to package it, carbonate it, condition it and then taste it and it will be wonderful!

That being said I do sample my beer before packaging because it is a starting point for note taking on taste, flavor, aroma and discerning any issues that may determine whether the beer will need more time and initial impressions but I do not place a lot of weight on these samples

Latest posts

Back