Need help with Ranco Temp Controller and Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaneStreet

Reaction score
Well I finally decided to start brewing again and I got an old freezer from my Dad and I bought a Ranco Temp Controller so I can ferment in a controlled environment here in Texas.

Now I have a problem. I got the Ranco and I wired it up and hooked it to the freezer. It worked great for 3 days, then I went out to find the temp of the freezer in the 80s when the Ranco was set for 65.

So did the old freezer die(pretty old) or did I somehow kill it with the Ranco? The wiring was very simple and I cant imagine that I did it wrong, but there is always a remote possibility.

Any suggestions, or comments??

Thanks, Lane

Odds are the freezer couldn't take the cycling. Did you set the anti-short-cycle setting for 4 minutes or more? That's usually best for a freezer. That gives the refrigeration circuit plenty of time for the pressure to equalize and all the liquid refrigerant that could possibly be in the suction line to evaporate so you don't slug the compressor.

Other than that, just check to make sure the wires didn't come unhooked inside.

Ok, you totally went over my head! :drunk:

I assume you mean changing a setting on the freezer, but this freezer only had a knob that goes from 1-5 (cold-coldest). Or is this a setting on the Ranco? I missed it if it is.

Thanks for the help!
Lane

Also, I plugged the freezer in without the Ranco, and now I only get a clicking noise(no cooling whatsoever).

So ,I guess the freezer is dead.

Lane

Also, I plugged the freezer in without the Ranco, and now I only get a clicking noise(no cooling whatsoever).

So ,I guess the freezer is dead.

Lane

Well that answers that.

On your next freezer, lol.... There is a setting on the Ranco for short-cycle delay. It can be set from 0 to 4 minutes and 4 minutes is best for a freezer. Basically it makes your Ranco wait 4 minutes before turning the freezer back on after it's been turned off. Without it, if you hit your target temp and the Ranco shuts off and the temp bounces back up a degree, it would turn the compressor right back on. The compressor would try to start against the high pressure load that hasn't had time to equalize and there could also be liquid refrigerant in the suction line. Both of these conditions are death for a compressor. So, the short cycle delay gives the system time to balance itself before starting the compressor again, prolonging its life.

Thanks for the info. I figured the freezer was a goner, but not that big of a loss.

Quick question, in the instructions for my Ranco, the only setting I can find that is close is for the "Differential Temperature" is this the short cycle delay you are referring to?

Thanks, Lane

Thanks for the info. I figured the freezer was a goner, but not that big of a loss.

Quick question, in the instructions for my Ranco, the only setting I can find that is close is for the "Differential Temperature" is this the short cycle delay you are referring to?

Thanks, Lane

Yeah, I forgot they had a different term and a little different usage. For temp differential you could set it for 2-3*. That just means instead of time it's tmep based. So rather than waiting X minutes it will wait until the temp climbs X degrees. A zero stting will eventually kill a compressor.

Back