Auberins + Honeywell = More questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainDucman

Reaction score
Ok, I've research, read, researched, read and just cant figure out one of my last issues before using my newly assembled rig.

I have followed and read many of the transformer problems on here, I have 24vac at the valves.

In manual mode it appears the valves open completely and I have about a 36" bright orange flame from the burners.

In automatic mode the valves seem to cycle on/off (audible contact clicks), when they are on, its full flames just like manual, when they're off it goes down to just the pilot light.

Do these valves modulate at all or is it just full on or full off?

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

if you are using the same honeywells as everyone else they dont modulate, they are on/off only. Also you will probably want to run your pid in on/off mode. Do you have needle valves between the honeywell and the burner? This is where you would adjust the flame size.

I don't have needle valves. Thought I bought everything I needed hahaha. At least it isn't a redesign of the rig.

Ok, I'll go back into the setting and change it to on/off. Just curious what that setting is and what it does.

Thank you for your help.

im still working on mine so I cant tell you exactly. But in simple terms when used as a full function PID, it is designed to cycle on and off as it gets closer to the desired temp. This is fine for a heating element but not for the honeywell valve. Im sure someone will come in and explain this much better than me.

Ah, ok. I do have 2 manual SOVs mounted on the front between the pumps. I will use them for now while I look for needle valves I can mount on the back and set/forget.

Thanks again for your help.

the needle valve is all I need, I adjust to get those nice blue flames. Generally I keep the air vent wide open but you might have to play with that too to get exactly what you want.

Back