Faucet Locks or in-line valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
So I come home from work today and notice some droplets and a small spill from my tap, housing my imperial bourbon stout. My underage son is home from college for Thanksgiving, and although I applaud his taste in quality beer, I don't want him indulging when I'm at work.

I've installed a hasp and lock onto the kegOrator and am going to disconnect the beer lines when I leave for work, but don't want to do that everyday. I'm looking at faucet locks but I need four and at 34 bucks a piece it's a small investment. My other option is to install inline valves on the beer lines for $2.50 a piece and just turn them off before locking up. My only concern there is I'm concerned the valve might cause foaming.

What would you recommend?

HA! That would have worked a couple years ago, but these days I think he'd give me a run for my money :)

That has already taken place....but the locks are to put my mind at ease.

Do you not trust your son? and is that because he is an untrustworthy person or because you know subconciously that your request to not drink a beer is a bit heavy handed?
Edit: reading that back sounds a bit dickish :eek: sorry, what I was meaning is until he proves that he can not be trusted to not drink your beer out of respect for what you have asked then a talk is all that should be needed, right?

I hate the concept of locking up the liquor cabinet, it does nothing to promote healthy drinking and just extends the stigma that alcohol is taboo and exciting and if you ever get your hands on it make the most of it while you can (e.g. binge drinking).

of coarse ignore this if he is continuously getting trashed while you are at work, because then it is his issue and for his safety you should remove the beer until he can sort himself out.

Do you not trust your son? and is that because he is an untrustworthy person or because you know subconciously that your request to not drink a beer is a bit heavy handed?
Edit: reading that back sounds a bit dickish :eek: sorry, what I was meaning is until he proves that he can not be trusted to not drink your beer out of respect for what you have asked then a talk is all that should be needed, right?

I hate the concept of locking up the liquor cabinet, it does nothing to promote healthy drinking and just extends the stigma that alcohol is taboo and exciting and if you ever get your hands on it make the most of it while you can (e.g. binge drinking).

of coarse ignore this if he is continuously getting trashed while you are at work, because then it is his issue and for his safety you should remove the beer until he can sort himself out.

Past track record warrants locking it up. Kegorator is new, but have came up with missing bottles in the past. Kegorator just makes it easier to hide "drinking dads beer when he's not home". This last discussion is just one of many concerning alcohol in the house. He's welcome to enjoy with us anytime he chooses, but not when we're not home. Past discussions seem to have fallen on deaf ears, so I only can assume this one did too. He's not sitting around the house getting drunk when we're not home, but I'm just not comfortable with him getting into the beer at all when I'm not home.

Back on topic I ordered faucet locks. I hate to be the guy who has to lock up his beer, but when diplomacy fails the the soldiers are deployed.

Where did you buy them from? My son is 11 and has some friends that I'm not so sure about. Don't want to have to explain to their parents why they got drunk off my homebrew.

Past track record warrants locking it up. Kegorator is new, but have came up with missing bottles in the past. Kegorator just makes it easier to hide "drinking dads beer when he's not home". This last discussion is just one of many concerning alcohol in the house. He's welcome to enjoy with us anytime he chooses, but not when we're not home. Past discussions seem to have fallen on deaf ears, so I only can assume this one did too. He's not sitting around the house getting drunk when we're not home, but I'm just not comfortable with him getting into the beer at all when I'm not home.

Back on topic I ordered faucet locks. I hate to be the guy who has to lock up his beer, but when diplomacy fails the the soldiers are deployed.

Fair enough :D
Got a link to the $2.50 valves? - just read you got the locks.

One reason I have not gone for taps yet (other than the costs!) is because of my son... he's 16 months and likes to play with everything so I'm sure if I had taps I would come home one night and he would be all sticky covered in beer! (and probably loving it, I mean who wouldn't :D)

Locking up your stuff is not mean, or untrustworthy.. it keeps honest people honest.

Or rig up a booby trap so that if he pours a beer he gets an electric shock!

I would have guessed those should have done the trick, but then you would still need to open the fridge twice a day to open/close them. Only benifit to installing them is not getting the drips from removing the QDs all the time.

I was thinking they might, I was just thinking the valve might cause excess foam. I would only need to use them a few months out of the year for when he's home so the locks might be the less troublesome of the two options.

Locking up your stuff is not mean, or untrustworthy.. it keeps honest people honest.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. The kegorator will be going to an outside bar out back of the house during the summer. The lockable hasp on the door and the faucet locks will come in handy there as well. I also have 12 and 14 year girls, and although I fully trust them I'm sure I won't trust their friends when they're older, locks will be nice then too.

In all seriousness, I think you've made a smart move. Sound like you've stated your case to him, he's chosen to ignore it for whatever reason, and so you are doing what's necessary. I expect to do the same in a few years. Cheers!

Piratwolf said:
In all seriousness, I think you've made a smart move. Sound like you've stated your case to him, he's chosen to ignore it for whatever reason, and so you are doing what's necessary. I expect to do the same in a few years. Cheers!

Thanks, I hate going to these extremes but I just see it as responsible parenting.

Back