Brew kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Hog

Reaction score
I'm thinking of stepping up from extract kits to BIAB so I've been looking at SS brew kettles. My question is about the thickness of the steel.

I found a used (1 year) 40qt. on CL, and it's 1.2mm on the sides and 5mm on the bottom. Seller wants $160 for it. It has weld-less fittings.

I found a new one online with welded fittings, but it's 1mm wall/bottom thickness. It's $150 including shipping.

Which one would be the better deal? Does the thickness make that much of a difference?

It might make a little bit of difference. The most prominent issue is that thinner metals will dent more easily, both in shipping/storage and in general use. Also, since you're interested in drilling holes in it, the thicker metal will hold up a bit better during the process. Both the 1mm and 1.2mm will do fine for both, though. Technically, you can weld 1mm, so even that's not a major consideration. I'd probably choose the used 1.2mm, depending on condition.

Thicker walls will also hold heat better for your mash. I use a 16 quart pressure canner. I turn the heat off 2 degrees shy of the target mash temp and it comes up to the temperature just from the heat in the walls and holds temperature for 60 minutes. I would not recommended a 40qt pot unless you are getting a high power burner to go with it. Most stoves will take a very long time to get 40 quarts up to temperature, and you are not going to be able to boil with the lid off.

This is the one I use:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-16-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Canner/5913467

I brew beer with it. My wife cans jam with it. Win win.

Thanks for the help guys. Both kettles already have the fitting mounted on the kettles, so no drilling or welding needed.

So if I want to go the BIAB route, what size kettle would be best?

16 quarts works fine for BIAB for me, but batch size is limited to 3.5 gallons and 10 lbs of grain. 5 gallon batches have to be toped off. If it's over 1.05 and 5 gallons of means supplementing with extract. Most of what i do are full boil 3 gallon up to 1.08 starting gravity.

However, if you have the money, and space you might want to go for the massive pot and the burner. Eapecialy if you can only brew once a month or less. I just prefer to brew less beer more often.

So a good 30-36 quart turkey fryer would ok? I like doing 5 gallon batches, but I haven't thought about doing a 3 gallon batch.

I use a 30 qt turkey fryer and do 5 gallon batches BIAB in it. Works fine for medium gravity beers but a high gravity beer would have too much grain for a full volume mash.

I would go with the kettle you found on CL that has the 5mm bottom. That is one of the pots that has the aluminum clad sandwiched between stainless steel. That is good for heat distribution and helps to prevent scorching on the bottom. I would go for that one.

Guess I need to start looking for a 36qt turkey fryer. Thanks guys. :mug:

I would go with the kettle you found on CL that has the 5mm bottom. That is one of the pots that has the aluminum clad sandwiched between stainless steel. That is good for heat distribution and helps to prevent scorching on the bottom. I would go for that one.

That's what I have been reading. And I'm finding that a bigger kettle is better for BIAB. Looks like I will have to get a burner as well as a kettle.

I went with an 11 gallon (44 qt) bayou classic kettle . I started with extract and then went to BIAB about 6 months ago. I am very happy with it. Even with that much extra room I have still had a few boil overs. But I am not very vigilant with my stirring and heat control. :rolleyes: They always happen when I am bringing it up to the initial boil. My recommendation would be to go bigger than 9 gallons.

You do need some extra room for the mash, but I would say that you are still more driven by the boil over risk when using a smaller kettle.

I bought a ball valve and weldless bulkhead a while back, but I have yet to install it. I am undecided on what I want to do about a false bottom, or mesh hose, etc. I just ask the SWMBO to help me dump it in the carboy. :)

In regards to the triple bottom...

In theory it sounds great. In real life it adds no benefit when brewing beer. If you asked all the Spike Brewing, Blichmann and Bayou classic owners I think they would tell you that their single layer kettles work just fine ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed out on the 40qt kettle on CL. I guess the search is still on. :)

Whatever you get, if you're going BIAB, get one with a strainer.
Cabelas has a 36 qt. with strainer basket for $79.99

Seems like the preferred size is 60 quart. Guess I'll look around for a used one. :)

Good news. Getting a keg cheap to use as a brew kettle/keggle. Now I have to figure out how big of a burner I'll need to heat it.

I recommend the Bayou KAB6. It's more money compared to the others, but it's stout as heck, has no problem securely holding a keggle and will get you to a boil in no time. Others will work as well, just make sure you're aware if they have to be modified to safely work with a keggle.

I also strongly recommend considering welded over weldless. While a lot of people are quite happy with their weldless setups, many others fight leaks and eventually look at either a soldered or welded setup. When you look at the cost of having a 2-3 couplers welded in, it's fairly comparable to a weldless setup...especially when you have to buy twice.

I always say...buy once, cry once. You'll be happy with the keggle, for sure.

Back