Reading Brewing up a business... lovin' it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
Just opening up the floor to any businessmen/woman that have read the book, wanted to... or just to chat about better business practices.

I'm currently preparing to launch my second business and Sam's perspective and story telling is very enjoyable PLUS intelligent. I highly recommend it.

I can say that it is in my top 5 business books I've ever read... out of at least 100+ I've tried...

Anyone read it?

I'm reading it now also. His perspective is amazing. I'm no big fan of his beer either, so this is an honest opinion. I used it as a source in a college course and now he has me wanting to open a brewery!

Absolutely... I've never even tried dfh beer. I'm living in Italy right now, and don't have access to it.

I think his ability to apply lessons within a story is paramount. I have taken so much more away than I normally would-- because I can remember the stories...

I think my favorite part of the book are the marketing stories... he is so unorthodox

My friend read it and loved it. I've read a ton of business books, and brewing books, but I always just assmed bad things about that book. Maybe I'll re-think my stance and give it a read this week.

luke2080 said:
My friend read it and loved it. I've read a ton of business books, and brewing books, but I always just assmed bad things about that book. Maybe I'll re-think my stance and give it a read this week.

You will be satisfied... I've actually taken time to notate certain concepts... not typical for me!

I read this a while back. It's a very good read, but it should be noted that the book really isn't about opening a brewery, but more so building a brand. Part of the reason that DFH is so successful is that it's a great brand, in addition to making great beer. If you want some more info on the actual process of opening a brewery, he gives a few titles to pick up.

A beer business is 80% business and 20% about the beer. Making great tasting beer isn't very hard. Sales, marketing, employee relations, customer relations, and other administrative tasks are the difficult part.

I'm reading this also. Easy to read, and very informative. I agree that it is a how to on making a brand. I love it.

The book is more than just about branding (albeit... 50% does focus on sales/marketing and branding) The book is about taking your passion and creating something unique that provides value back to the community.

Let's be honest though... brewing beer is fun, but creating the business is where the passion comes through. I especially respect the concepts that he put forth about developing a "VALUE"

How long will an untapped keg of new castle last in room temperature in the low 60's? Reason I'm asking us that I have that keg left from a party and still not done with my existing keg that's in my kegerator.

How long will an untapped keg of new castle last in room temperature in the low 60's? Reason I'm asking us that I have that keg left from a party and still not done with my existing keg that's in my kegerator.
Not the appropriate thread for this question. Start your own.

That should win an award for the most off topic question ever. (although I would answer 1 month, easy, since it isn't tapped. Probably longer)

Opening a brewery is definitely mostly about the brand, marketing, and sales. But forecasting growth, demand, and sizing your operations properly is wildly important to open a brewery profitably. I didn't think he detailed much of that, which is why I haven't read it yet.

Maybe this book, in addition to some of the others referenced in his book as you say, will shape my mindset. I'll share some opinions once I chew through this book.

luke2080 said:
That should win an award for the most off topic question ever. (although I would answer 1 month, easy, since it isn't tapped. Probably longer)

Opening a brewery is definitely mostly about the brand, marketing, and sales. But forecasting growth, demand, and sizing your operations properly is wildly important to open a brewery profitably. I didn't think he detailed much of that, which is why I haven't read it yet.

Maybe this book, in addition to some of the others referenced in his book as you say, will shape my mindset. I'll share some opinions once I chew through this book.

I can see your point of view, but now your are discussing the different views between entrepreneurs and brewers...

Sam C. Is an entrepreneur with a brewing side. However his desire to create new and specialized products drives his desires.

On the other hand... some people are Brewers that want to be entrepreneurs... and get wrapped up in technical details.

I'm not saying either way is better, just that this book is written by a creative spirit for entrepreneur types... I've briefly skimmed his recommendations. They are ate up with the details you are looking for... good luck scaling up your operations... as that is a HUGE undertaking.

As for me, I'm using a lot of his writing to think through my second start up... its amazing how his words and concepts generate rapid fire ideas...

'Extreme Brewing' was so disappointing I never gave this one a chance. Sounds like it might be worth checking out.

I just downloaded it on Kindle appl, 9 bucks. Got through the first chapter, pretty good read so far.

Latest posts

Back