Recipe for WLP007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
I have a starter going of WLP007. I was planning on brewing a brown ale, but now am concerned that this yeast may attenuate too much for a brown. Would this yeast work well in a brown? If not, what would it be good for? I want a malt forward beer, but nothing big. if this is not good for a brown, what about Orfy's mild? The recipe calls for Notty, which is a highly attenuative yeast as well.

What do you think?

I have a starter going of WLP007. I was planning on brewing a brown ale, but now am concerned that this yeast may attenuate too much for a brown. Would this yeast work well in a brown? If not, what would it be good for? I want a malt forward beer, but nothing big. if this is not good for a brown, what about Orfy's mild? The recipe calls for Notty, which is a highly attenuative yeast as well.

What do you think?

That's a dry ale strain, not really the one I would go with for a brown ale...I prefer Wyeast 1056 or 1450 on my brown ale's...just my opinion!
happy Brewing!

I say use it in a brown ale - I really doubt you'll tell the difference. Perhaps mash higher than you normally would to decrease fermentables. Adding some Carapils may also work to increase mouthfeel. This is very close to Stone's house strain, and they use it in some beers with plenty of body still remaining, i.e., Old Guardian, Bitter Chocolate, RIS.

That's a dry ale strain, not really the one I would go with for a brown ale...I prefer Wyeast 1056 or 1450 on my brown ale's...just my opinion!
happy Brewing!

According to the WL website, 007 and 001(1056) have the same attenutation limits, so I can't see how drastically different 007 and 1056 would be.

I would think 1056 would be out of place, at least in an English brown ale. It's actually a bit more attenuative that 007, and would be lacking the ester profile ... I could be wrong though.

If I use this in a brown, I will probably mash in the 156 range to keep the FG a bit higher.

I say use it in a brown ale - I really doubt you'll tell the difference. Perhaps mash higher than you normally would to decrease fermentables. Adding some Carapils may also work to increase mouthfeel. This is very close to Stone's house strain, and they use it in some beers with plenty of body still remaining, i.e., Old Guardian, Bitter Chocolate, RIS.

According to the WL website, 007 and 001(1056) have the same attenutation limits, so I can't see how drastically different 007 and 1056 would be.

I am a little confused...the White Lab strain that OP was discussing has this description:

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70°F
(18-21°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

I have used and had great successful with using Wyeast strains versus White Labs, here is a description from there website:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_styledetails.cfm?ID=155

and descriptions of each yeast:

YEAST STRAIN: 1450 | Denny's Favorite 50
This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated..

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-76%
Temperature Range: 60-70F 15-21C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 10%

YEAST STRAIN: 1056 | American Ale
Very clean, crisp flavor characteristics with low fruitiness and mild ester production. A very versatile yeast for styles that desire dominant malt and hop character. This strain makes a wonderful “House” strain. Mild citrus notes develop with cooler 60-66°F (15-19ºC) fermentations. Normally requires filtration for bright beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11% ABV

Whenever I use Chico, no matter which lab, I get 80% attenuation, and the hops always dominate, not the malt at all. And the ester profile is not right for an English ale, IMHO. With WLP007, the low end of attenuation is 70%, but 1056 is at 73%.

I have no experience with Denny's favorite, so I cane make no comments on it.

Even though i do appreciate any input i get from this board, My question though was what to do with WLP007, not suggestions for other yeasts to use for a brown. I already have the starter going, and don't want to change it up at this point.

Whenever I use Chico, no matter which lab, I get 80% attenuation, and the hops always dominate, not the malt at all. And the ester profile is not right for an English ale, IMHO. With WLP007, the low end of attenuation is 70%, bs 1056 at 73%.

I have no experience with Denny's favorite, so I cane make no comments on it.

Even though i do appreciate any input i get from this board, My question though was what to do with WLP007, not suggestions for other yeasts to use for a brown. I already have the starter going, and don't want to change it up at this point.

Ahhh got it, I apologize I read the question wrong!

Yeah, I see the same results as lyacovett - never under 80% AA with WLP001/WY1056/S-05, so I rarely use it.

The Denny's is nice and gives fantastic malt-forward notes, but definitely has real low flocc in my experience.

Just goes to show how everyone's system is different!

Use it on the brown with a higher mash temp (155) and perhaps throw in a little extra crystal malt. Then use the resulting yeast cake to make a couple of big beers (Imperial Stout/IPA/Barleywine). That's what I plan on doing with the 007 I just picked up, though my first beer may be some sort of small ESB instead...

Let us know how it goes.

MNDan said:
Use it on the brown with a higher mash temp (155) and perhaps throw in a little extra crystal malt. Then use the resulting yeast cake to make a couple of big beers (Imperial Stout/IPA/Barleywine). That's what I plan on doing with the 007 I just picked up, though my first beer may be some sort of small ESB instead...

Let us know how it goes.

So have you used this before? It is supposedly dry Whitbread strain. Do you know if it has a similar profile Whitbread?

I've used it in IPAs before. As they state on their website, it is similar to 002, the Fuller's strain, but in my experience less fruity and more hop-forward. I use the Fuller's strain in my brown, and I've seen it attenuate as high as 75% (I've got such a beer on tap right now, and it's great), so it should be an excellent combo if you follow the high mash temp and extra crystal suggestion.

I use this yeast regularly. It will attenuate up to 80% if it gets warm or if you mash thin and low. Thin being the bigger deal. I would mash at no more than 1.25qt per Lb. And go a little high.

It cakes up like cottage cheese and floccs like a brick. It ferments fast and gives a wonderful flavor to browns.

It os the house yeast of many many breweries. Its used in Surly Bender which is a top 10 brown in my opinion. It's a,so used in Pullman Brown which is another top 10. Pullman uses molasses as well.

Can you post full recipe.

Def use the yeast in the brown. You can only learn and get better from this experience, your already thinking ahead to plan out your proper attenuation.

This is my recipe, defnitely willing to make changes if you have any pointers.

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.11 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 16.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Maris Otter (4.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
0.75 lb Crystal 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.50 lb Victory (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.25 lb Chocolate (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
1.00 oz Goldings (B.C.) [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings (B.C.) [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 8.63 qt of water at 169.3 F 156.0 F

Looks great. I like to add Simpsons Golden Naked Oats....there awesome in browns....secret ingredient for sure.

Also I like a little aromatic malt or special B.

If you add more specialty just up your IBU. Maybe another .5 oz goldings at flameout

Anybody else have any recipe suggestions? This is a style I haven't quite nailed down yet. I was thinking some honey malt, as I have some of that one hand, as well as melanoidin. Any suggestions are welcome, other than a yeast change. I am definitely going with WLP007 at this point.

Anybody else have any recipe suggestions? This is a style I haven't quite nailed down yet. I was thinking some honey malt, as I have some of that one hand, as well as melanoidin. Any suggestions are welcome, other than a yeast change. I am definitely going with WLP007 at this point.

this is a recipe i use wlp007 for. (my version of stone xiii) i call redemption ale. im still tweaking it some buts its good, takes some time to mellow out.

Batch Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Size: 7.500 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 65%
OG: 1.075
FG: 1.012
ABV: 8.7%
Bitterness: 94.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 24 SRM (Mosher)

17 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 17.000 lb Yes No 79%
2 lbs Victory Malt Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 73% 25
12 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 12.000 oz Yes No 74%
6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L Grain 6.000 oz Yes No 75%
6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 6.000 oz Yes No 72%
8 oz Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 60%
1 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) Sugar 1.000 lb No No 100%

1.5 oz FWH Chinook 13.0%
1.5 oz @ 90 Chinook 13.0%
1 oz @ 60 Chinook 13.0%
1 oz @ 5 Chinook 13.0%
1 oz @ 0 Chinook 13.0%

2 oz DH 14 days Simcoe 13.0%
2 oz DH 14 days Centennial 10.5%

1 oz DH 7 days Simcoe 13.0%
1 oz DH 7 days Centennial 10.5%

OK so I brewed on 6/3. OG was 1.049, right now (6/8/2011) it is sitting at 1.020. It has been hanging out around there for a few days. The past three days it has dropped maybe 2 points. I only started checking the gravity because I noticed the krausen dropped after 3 days. This worried me so I took a reading. I wanted my gravity left a bit higher, but this is nuts. I have since swirled and warmed up the beer. It is sitting at about 77 right now, and has been for over a day. Still not much going on. Anything else I can do to get this to drop a few more points?

i brewed an ESB 1.055 with wlp007 recently

got down to 1.013 within 10days or so, after i checked gravity another week or so later it was down to 1.010 and when i racked it secondary to dry hop (at 4 week mark) it was down to 1.008 (85% attenuation!)

mash temp was around 151° and ratio was ~1.33qt/lb

i am having a hard time trying to wash this strain (my 1st attempt at washing). I can't get a clean separation from the trub and yeast and just get 1 mixed layer.

Ok, perhaps it's just slow to finish. This is yeast I top cropped awhile ago, but the starter took off, and I pitched a 2L starter. I just expected this to be done rather quickly because I over pitched .... Guess not. I also wasn't able to top crop this any because the krausen dropped so quickly.

I guess we'll see if it keeps dropping. I mashed a bit thick and a bit high, so I expected a higher FG, just not this high.

Back