boilover has burn wort stuck in my new burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neiltl3

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just moved over to All grain this is only my second all grain as well as my second ten gallon batch. I upgraded much of my equipment one item being my blichmann floor burner. This thing worked great, that is until I mad the mistake of taking a leak and leaving my friend to watch as it came a boil. I came back only to find my fantastic smelling wort pouring over the sides, and my friend turning the burner all the way up instead of all the way down. So the beer is finished and in the carboys looks ok smelled ok. My problem now is that I have burnt wort stuck in the first two rows of my brand new burner any ideas how to fix that. Should I pick at it and then blow compressed air through it? Not sure if there is anything I can ruin inside the burner?

You could always call Blkmn customer service. J/K

Just clean it up and poke all the holes free then test fire it.

Light it up and run it reallyhot for a couple minutes. Whatever is in there will char to a black carbon. Let it cool and poke the carbon out of the jets with a fine wire of some kind, then hit it with air

Basically burn it out, poke it out, blow it out.

thanks for the input guys, I was thinking the same things just wanted some more opinions before I ruin my new stuff. Thanks again

The problem with trying to burn the stuff off is that the burner casting doesn't get as hot as you might think it would and not much will readily burn off. IMO, a better approach is to use heavy duty Easy-Off oven cleaner. Use a drill with a bit the same size as the original ports to clean them out. Disassemble the burner and soak in a hot PBW solution then attack it with a wire brush. No need to over do it. Get the gas ports cleared and the burner operational and let it go. This will inevitably happen again sooner or later.

The problem with trying to burn the stuff off is that the burner casting doesn't get as hot as you might think it would and not much will readily burn off. IMO, a better approach is to use heavy duty Easy-Off oven cleaner. Use a drill with a bit the same size as the original ports to clean them out. Disassemble the burner and soak in a hot PBW solution then attack it with a wire brush. No need to over do it. Get the gas ports cleared and the burner operational and let it go. This will inevitably happen again sooner or later.

I'd skip the PBW soak. I suspect that the inside of the burner will rust at warp speed if you leave it sitting in water.

Got a propane torch? Turn the burner upside down and heat until the burnt on wort starts dripping off.

I'd skip the PBW soak. I suspect that the inside of the burner will rust at warp speed if you leave it sitting in water.

Got a propane torch? Turn the burner upside down and heat until the burnt on wort starts dripping off.

I've done the PBW soak many times over the years. Some very minor surface rust will form, but it doesn't interfere with the operation of the burner at all. The exterior surface of the burner will eventually and inevitably acquire some surface rust, but that too seems to do no harm. I now "season" my burners with some Crisco vegetable oil in a spray can. I do it like you would a cast iron skillet.

Latest posts

Back