Oops...hop mix up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
I made a robust porter today. I usually have the following hop profile
60min - 1.2oz Northern Brewer
30min - 1oz cascade
10min - 0.5oz cascade
00min - 0.5oz cascade

instead I did the following

60min - 1.2oz Cascade

Realized my mistake and adjusted the remaining additions to still get my target IBUs

30min - 1oz Northern Brewer
10min - 1oz Northern Brewer

What can I expect? Anyone ever use Cascade at 60min? Anyone use NB as a flavor or aroma addition?

I use cascade at the bittering hop in my house amber; and I know some stout recipes use it as well. It'll work.

Haven't used NB much, so can't help you there...

Cascade at bittering shouldn't make much of a difference, but NB instead of cascade at Aroma/finishing will make a differnce. NB, IMHO is a very clean yet unique hop. You won't get the spicy/citrusy aroma from NB like you would from cascade. But the good news is, that for that particular beer, the flavor impact should be minimal. If anything, I bet it would be strangely delicious! (Ok, I'm biased b/c I really like NB).

Cascade at bittering shouldn't make much of a difference, but NB instead of cascade at Aroma/finishing will make a differnce. NB, IMHO is a very clean yet unique hop. You won't get the spicy/citrusy aroma from NB like you would from cascade. But the good news is, that for that particular beer, the flavor impact should be minimal. If anything, I bet it would be strangely delicious! (Ok, I'm biased b/c I really like NB).

I agree! I'm drinking a northern brewer hopped beer right now. It's NOT citrusy like cascade, it's sort of minty and piney but not really. I think it's a better choice for a robust porter anyway!

Part of the fun of homebrew is to ignore the norms, experiment and make what you like, and I'm sure a lot of people would cringe at some things I do ..... That said, I don't think Cascade has any place in a Porter; Northern Brewer will produce a beer much closer to the traditional style.

I don't think you will have any problems with the beer.

Brew what you want/like, not what others say you should.

Back