Too much specialty grain in mash -- How to recover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardoman

Reaction score
Fairly new brewer here:

I just did this partial mash really early in the morning, and as I had purchased my specialty grains by the pound, I threw in the whole pound of each instead of 0.5lbs of each as intended.

Grain bill: 5lbs Maris Otter, 1lb Crystal 80, 1lb Cara-Pils, 1lb Munich.

Since I did not realize the mistake until after pitching, I went ahead and did my boil, hop and DME additions as intended. (9.75AA Centennial @60min, 4lbs DME @15min, 6.2AAU Cascade @2min)

Question: If I brew another 5gal batch of this recipe with no specialty grains and blend the two batches before bottling, will the result be anything like the initially intended recipe?

Subquestion: Should I even bother or is this batch likely to be tasty as-is?

Surely somebody out there has made a similar mistake in the past.
Lesson: Coffee first, mash second.

I say just forget about it. The beer will be a little darker and have a little higher FG but it won't ruin things. Next time go slow and be more careful with your measurements. ;)

PLEASE don't throw out beer! You would be surprised how good, even mistakes can taste. Your beer will finish higher than you'd like and should keep a HUGE head on it. But it will still taste good. Give your yeast enough time to clean up and that sucker will be tasty.

You'll end up with a more flavorful beer. If you find the taste undesirable when it finishes fermenting, you could always brew more all maris otter wort and add until you reach something you would be happier with.

Your beer is likely ruined. By the way. Do you happen to know the shipping charges between your home town and Oklahoma? When I am not working at my chosen profession, I run a beer disposal service. We'll get rid of the "mistake" in question. If you send a money order with the beer, I'll even return your bottles/

Question: If I brew another 5gal batch of this recipe with no specialty grains and blend the two batches before bottling, will the result be anything like the initially intended recipe?

Subquestion: Should I even bother or is this batch likely to be tasty as-is?

Yes, whatever, yes.

I'd drink it as-is myself, 10 gallons of one beer would be boring.

Back