Pain In The Ass Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbid53

Reaction score
I am now enjoying my first IPA wich actually turned out pretty decent considering all the problems I ran into only I have one question? the sanitizer im using is a no rinse sanitizer and I can taste it in the beer now is there a better sanitizer or should I just rinse after sanitizing? Thanks!:mug:

I have the same problem when I use hops as a sanitizer. :D

I suspect you are either using excessive concentrations of sanitizer, or you are mistaking green beer artifacts with the odor of sanitizer.

-a.

ajf said:
I have the same problem when I use hops as a sanitizer. :D

I suspect you are either using excessive concentrations of sanitizer, or you are mistaking green beer artifacts with the odor of sanitizer.

-a.

Yeah, I agree with the above completely.

I think it was to much of a concentration I am using one step , still would it be safe just to rinse after sanitizing just as precautionary. I know it is not the hops though it is a highly hoped beer 99 IBU,S and is wonderfull except for the slight tinge of sourness left by sanitizer same efect as drinking beer at the local dive bar when they dont rinse their glasses

Rinsing a non-rinse sanitizer kind of defeats the purpose. Well, not entirely, but if you feel compelled to rinse I would suggest a much cheaper sanitizer that is designed to be rinsed such as bleach.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Rinsing a non-rinse sanitizer kind of defeats the purpose. Well, not entirely, but if you feel compelled to rinse I would suggest a much cheaper sanitizer that is designed to be rinsed such as bleach.

Would you still be against it if you rinsed with another sanitizer?

:cross:

As everyone else has suggested I suspect something other than the sanitizer is the culprit. If you really used an over concentration then just use as directed next time. It isn't a problem and you won't taste it.

I can state without reservation that you can have more than a cup of Idophor in a 5 Gallon batch and it will be all but unnoticeable.

Dont ask me how I know this information.

Cheers,

knewshound

I've read an experiment where they used 8x the amount, didn't rinse and there was no taste.

My first AG brew had a medical taste when I tried it. No one else could. I left it 2 weeks and it was fine. It just got better with time.

morbid53 said:
I am now enjoying my first IPA wich actually turned out pretty decent considering all the problems I ran into only I have one question? the sanitizer im using is a no rinse sanitizer and I can taste it in the beer now is there a better sanitizer or should I just rinse after sanitizing? Thanks!:mug:

They say urine is sterile, perhpas that would be a tasteless sanitizer.:drunk:

Back