Happy Hefeweizen, Apfelwein, and first time Kegging! (56k no way)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
Well, My first batch of "real" beer was just right on with the gravity I wanted, so it was time to keg!

Here's the recipe that myself and my girlfriend's brother came up with:

Happy Heffe
OG 1.055
FG 1.014
IBU 11
ABV 5.3 %
SRM 3

Specifics
Boil Volume 6 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
100.0 % 6.00 Wheat Dry Malt Extract 55.2 3.2
6.00 55.2

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
100.0 % 1.00 Hallertau Whole/Plug 3.1 3.1 60 0.239 11.1

My Final gravity was 1.016, so I was pretty happy with that. Here's a picture inside of the bucket:
IMG_1093.jpg

Also, my Apfelwein was just about cleared (or so I thought), so I figured now would be the perfect time to keg both!
IMG_1103.jpg

The picture is out of focus, but it was the only one I took of the cider.

Here's a picture of my two Corny Kegs that I picked up from Awfers, and of course Star San:
IMG_1104.jpg

Now, onto the siphoning!!
IMG_1106.jpg

I am force carbonating them, and I noticed that after one night it wasn't enough carbonation. Today I'll be taking more pictures of the final product. My initial impression of the Apfelwein is it's champagne-like flavoring, with the mild sweetness of apples. I can't wait to get it nicely carbonated as I think it will taste even better with a hefty amount of carbonation. The Happy Hefe is spot on to what I was shooting for (Paulanders hefeweizen) and I'm really happy with the result. Like the Apfelwein, I know that it'll be better with carbonation as well as being chilled. My kegs aren't in a fridge right now, only my basement. It's time to build a kegerator asap!

Hahahaha! I was wondering if anyone was ever going to ask me that. Sadly though, it is not me.

The beer and apfelwein look greeat! However, I think you are going to be disappointed in carbonation until you get those things carbing in a fridge...

It takes a good 2-3 WEEKS to carbonate a keg with 12-14psi (general range) at 40F or so. Not sure how cold your cellar is, but unless you have the PSI jacked to like 30PSI or something, they aren't going to carb very fast or hold much carbonation at cellar temps? Think 'real ale' served at cellar temps, low to no carbonation.

Maybe I'm missing something, but generally colder temps = more CO2 in solution. Definitely won't have carbed beverage after 1 day on gas, at cellar temps.

I've had them at 25psi for the past two days.

What I've been doing is keeping them at 25psi and shaking the hell out of them. I can definitely hear the CO2 getting into the solution. I tried it today and it already has pretty damn good carbonation.

I've had them at 25psi for the past two days.

What I've been doing is keeping them at 25psi and shaking the hell out of them. I can definitely hear the CO2 getting into the solution. I tried it today and it already has pretty damn good carbonation.

Oh the shake method will definitely get some carbonation into them... just be careful not to overcarb or its a PITA to de-gas...

How cold is your cellar? 25psi may be enough to get decent carbonation at 50-55F; I wouldn't know without checking the chart.

Definitely would get on the kegerator conversion and it will be much easier for you. Set to 12-14psi in a 40F fridge, come back and drink a couple weeks later. No hassle, no overcarbing, all good.

Welcome to kegging though, it's the best upgrade I ever made, so much less hassle.

the cellar is about upper 50's lower 60's.

I had my first taste of the Apfelwein, and it's great! one pint was just enough to put a pretty good smile on my face :)

Back