Relocation recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
We're looking to possibly relocate and we're wondering the best way to go about it. We're taking our time and plan on researching heavily. Another thing we're considering is renting something for a few months in the area we're looking at. Has anybody else gone through this?

If you are not sure where you want to go or not sure what part of town you want to live in I would recommend putting your stuff in storage and looking for a furnished place to rent. Put your furniture in storage and it will be easier for you to change location a few times while looking for the perfect location.

I know that Glibbidy and his wife basically toured the country before decided that they really DID want to settle in Bratt. That's obviously not something that everyone can do.

What are you guys looking for in your new location? I think that would be the first step - define what's more important to you - job opportunities, weather, for the wife and I being in a socially-liberal community is important, proximity to good beer, other cultural things, desiring an urban versus rural versus suburban lifestyle, cost of living... what are the attributes that are most important to you?

We've actually talked a wee bit; if we were to move anywhere in the country(not likely, since both of our families are in the northeast), it would probably be in the PNW somewhere. Just seems like a good match for what we're looking for - although we can find most of what's important to us where we're at, so we're not likely to be taking off anytime soon.

My only suggestion about storage is you make sure what you put in there you want! I work at a storage place and it's REDICULOUS the crap put in there and pay $100+ a month for.

Just know what you're putting in there and how much it's worth to you.

Oh and move to Texas! :D

the_bird said:
I know that Glibbidy and his wife basically toured the country before decided that they really DID want to settle in Bratt. That's obviously not something that everyone can do.

What are you guys looking for in your new location? I think that would be the first step - define what's more important to you - job opportunities, weather, for the wife and I being in a socially-liberal community is important, proximity to good beer, other cultural things, desiring an urban versus rural versus suburban lifestyle, cost of living... what are the attributes that are most important to you?

We've actually talked a wee bit; if we were to move anywhere in the country(not likely, since both of our families are in the northeast), it would probably be in the PNW somewhere. Just seems like a good match for what we're looking for - although we can find most of what's important to us where we're at, so we're not likely to be taking off anytime soon.

We're looking currently in the Raleigh, NC area. The things we're looking for would be friendly people, lower cost of living, good schools, safe areas, decent job market, good weather, good amount of recreation. We like nice restaurants, outdoors activities, some cultural activities, etc. I am also concerned with the beer scene, but SWMBOs not. Another important thing to us is a downtown area. We like the sense of community we currently have when we're downtown...

I've relocated three times - two cross-country moves and one within-state move.

Renting an apartment for a year or so in your new town before you buy might be a good idea or not, it really depends on you. I mean, if you are decided that you definately want to move to Chapel Hill (for example), then go ahead and buy because CH isn't that big and you can find something pretty quick. On the other hand, if you have not decided where you want to live yet, but you know it will be the greater Raleigh/Durham area, then yeah, rent for a while.

Researching the area ahead of time is a good idea, but its no substitute for actually being there. You will probably be dissappointed by some things in your new town and pleasantly surprised by other things that you had no idea about before you moved. You need to be honest with yourself about why you are leaving NJ and what you want to have in your new location. No place will be perfect, so you'll have to decide on what you are willing to compromise and what you won't. And remember - no matter where you go, there you are.

Beerthoven said:
I've relocated three times - two cross-country moves and one within-state move.

Renting an apartment for a year or so in your new town before you buy might be a good idea or not, it really depends on you. I mean, if you are decided that you definately want to move to Chapel Hill (for example), then go ahead and buy because CH isn't that big and you can find something pretty quick. On the other hand, if you have not decided where you want to live yet, but you know it will be the greater Raleigh/Durham area, then yeah, rent for a while.

Researching the area ahead of time is a good idea, but its no substitute for actually being there. You will probably be dissappointed by some things in your new town and pleasantly surprised by other things that you had no idea about before you moved. You need to be honest with yourself about why you are leaving NJ and what you want to have in your new location. No place will be perfect, so you'll have to decide on what you are willing to compromise and what you won't. And remember - no matter where you go, there you are.

Yeah see we're not set on CH right now. We're also considering Cary, Raleigh, Carrboro, and we're open to other towns in the area. So we figured renting for some time will mean; we're not locked into anything, we can take our time looking, and when we go to buy we won't have anything to sell. We'll get a much better idea when we come down in April. Hope to see you guys then...

I get to travel quite a bit for business but I can honestly say that I can't ever really get the feel for what it would be like to live anywhere. I must not have the ramblin gene or something. Moving to a new state seems scary to me.

The other issue is that most of the places I travel to are more urban than where I'd like but it's not a fair comparison. I wouldn't live in the urban centers in my own state either.

The biggest issue I think is finding a job that will surpass your current income to cost of living ratio. In other words, it wouldn't make all that much sense taking a 50% pay cut to live in a house that costs you 50% less per month. It's a break even deal unless there some other redeeming qualities of the new location.

The people I know who are really making out are the ones who set themselves up in a career in a high income area and then negotiated the ability to work remotely full time. A few of my peers with more years of service have done this. They basically took early retirement and moved to FL, NC, or AL and paid for an equivelent house in cash just with the equity they pulled out of their NJ house. The gravy is continuing to earn NJ wages. Not easy.

I do believe I'll move out of state in the next ten years but I'll have that much more equity in my overpriced house by then.

Louisville has won several magazine type awards lately as a city with big city conveniences and small town traffic, crime, cost of living etc. There is a great local music scene as well.

I seriously would recommend it. My parents lived in Raliegh for 5 years or so and ended up mobving back here.

The LHBS is manned by true "just off the boat" germans lol.;)

I myself would sell all of my brewery equipment, as it holds its value quite well. I could easily list most of my stuff on CL or other sites and get about 75% or 80% of what I paid for it, provided I was willing to put up with the hassle of dealing with people over the internet. Once I get to my new location I would buy all new equipment that matches as opposed to the current mishmash of stuff I have.

FYI I have 5 hydrometers, do I need 5 hydrometers, no I don't I also have 2 scales and 4 different thermometers. 2 bottle capers and a 3 bottling buckets. I never bottle that much I keg now and it seems like a waste that they just sit there. I have been contemplating selling my old 20 foot chiller for scrap, as it is practically useless to anyone that doesn't brew small extract batches. I also have cases and cases and cases of empty bottles I never use any more probably 15 or 20 cases of bottles of all different sizes. If I moved them with me they would probably end up getting recycled at some point, so I may as well sell them or give them away to another brewer.

I don't plan on moving any time soon, but if I did I would sell or give away almost all of my brewery stuff there are a lot of people out there who would be happy to have it, and it would give me an opportunity to make or get some great new stuff.

Donasay said:
I myself would sell all of my brewery equipment, as it holds its value quite well. I could easily list most of my stuff on CL or other sites and get about 75% or 80% of what I paid for it, provided I was willing to put up with the hassle of dealing with people over the internet. Once I get to my new location I would buy all new equipment that matches as opposed to the current mishmash of stuff I have.

FYI I have 5 hydrometers, do I need 5 hydrometers, no I don't I also have 2 scales and 4 different thermometers. 2 bottle capers and a 3 bottling buckets. I never bottle that much I keg now and it seems like a waste that they just sit there. I have been contemplating selling my old 20 foot chiller for scrap, as it is practically useless to anyone that doesn't brew small extract batches. I also have cases and cases and cases of empty bottles I never use any more probably 15 or 20 cases of bottles of all different sizes. If I moved them with me they would probably end up getting recycled at some point, so I may as well sell them or give them away to another brewer.

I don't plan on moving any time soon, but if I did I would sell or give away almost all of my brewery stuff there are a lot of people out there who would be happy to have it, and it would give me an opportunity to make or get some great new stuff.

I don't think I'll get equipment this cheaply again...

The bird is correct, My partner and I traveled around North America for almost three months before we decided on a place to raise a family.

• Set a goal- Make a drop dead date for your move.
  • Research several locations- Choose at least three georgaphic regions you would consider living
  • Network with remotely located friends and Family- Reach out to them, and get their feedback on where and why they live where they do.
  • Visit the potential relocation area- Visit the area's you'd like to live. Remember them friends you networked with? Consider them key assests when travelling.
  • Look for employment- Would you be happy delivering pizza until you found the right job?
  • Make yer Move.

PM me if you want some additional relocation resources, and information.

Glibbidy said:
The bird is correct, My partner and I traveled around North America for almost three months before we decided on a place to raise a family.

• Set a goal- Make a drop dead date for your move.
  • Research several locations- Choose at least three georgaphic regions you would consider living
  • Network with remotely located friends and Family- Reach out to them, and get their feedback on where and why they live where they do.
  • Visit the potential relocation area- Visit the area's you'd like to live. Remember them friends you networked with? Consider them key assests when travelling.
  • Look for employment- Would you be happy delivering pizza until you found the right job?
  • Make yer Move.

PM me if you want some additional relocation resources, and information.

Thanks man. Luckily the job aspect isnt an issue for me. SWMBO would likely line something up before we got there. I will probably be in touch further down the road. Cheers...

I would try to land a job first. It might be easier than going to a place without one. Then again... that is how I ended up in NJ. Heh.

Soulive said:
The things we're looking for would be friendly people, lower cost of living, good schools, safe areas, decent job market, good weather, good amount of recreation. We like nice restaurants, outdoors activities, some cultural activities, etc.

Sounds like you need to come to Canada. Well, with one notable exception. It tends to get a little nippy in many areas in the winter. That's when we all huddle around the fireplace and make beer and babies! Come on up!

Fingers said:
Sounds like you need to come to Canada. Well, with one notable exception. It tends to get a little nippy in many areas in the winter. That's when we all huddle around the fireplace and make beer and babies! Come on up!

Making beer and babies rules! I'm not opposed to colder weather, but SWMBO is...

Fingers said:
I love Canada. It's a great country. I probably would have to live in Toronto though. There's not too many computer engineering gigs in the great white north and the western part is too far away from family and friends.

NC rocks; you will be happy provided you settle in the area that contains all your needs. Make a list.

Geography is quite varied; mountain, foothills, flatland and seashore, it may pay to keep this in mind as well. However close access to income bearing resources is paramount.

Getting out off a current house, and into a new job can be a logistical nightmare. A friend had a heck of a time getting out of an upper mid-west house and into the Austin, TX lakes area-house wouldn't sell, but they preservered and are happy as all hell now.

I know several people in NC- They all want leave citing Crime, Taxes and inbreeding as really annoying.

I live in Alaska, love it dont have a good reason to leave, but my next house will be in either Hawaii or the Caribbean.

I lived in Chapel Hill & Carrboro for 5 years before moving to Pittsburgh. SWMBO and I loved it -- the weather was awesome, fairly good job opportunities for me (software engineering), reasonable cost of living. If I could choose any place in the country to live, Carrboro would be a top contender: small walkable town, good schools, close to a big city (Raliegh), liberal community (not for everyone, I know, but perfect for us), 4 hours from the beach or mountains, good beer & food readily available. Compared to Pittsburgh, taxes and crime aren't bad, but that might not be saying much.

We rented for 2 years in Carrboro before buying a place. Definitely worth it for us, but we didn't own before we moved down there & didn't know the area that well. Those two years were long enough to get to know different parts of town & make up our mind where we wanted to look to buy. Waiting also paid off for us -- we timed the real estate marked pretty well & made a bundle when we left. If you have a good idea of the neighborhood(s) you want to be in, there's no reason to wait if there's something available.

The housing marked is pretty nasty now, and that might be something to think about before buying a place. Waiting a couple years may be worth it, although I don't know how stable things have been in central NC.

jelsas said:
I lived in Chapel Hill & Carrboro for 5 years before moving to Pittsburgh. SWMBO and I loved it -- the weather was awesome, fairly good job opportunities for me (software engineering), reasonable cost of living. If I could choose any place in the country to live, Carrboro would be a top contender: small walkable town, good schools, close to a big city (Raliegh), liberal community (not for everyone, I know, but perfect for us), 4 hours from the beach or mountains, good beer & food readily available. Compared to Pittsburgh, taxes and crime aren't bad, but that might not be saying much.

We rented for 2 years in Carrboro before buying a place. Definitely worth it for us, but we didn't own before we moved down there & didn't know the area that well. Those two years were long enough to get to know different parts of town & make up our mind where we wanted to look to buy. Waiting also paid off for us -- we timed the real estate marked pretty well & made a bundle when we left. If you have a good idea of the neighborhood(s) you want to be in, there's no reason to wait if there's something available.

The housing marked is pretty nasty now, and that might be something to think about before buying a place. Waiting a couple years may be worth it, although I don't know how stable things have been in central NC.

Thanks, thats very helpful. It sounds like the Raleigh area is definitely our style. I don't think we'll be renting, but instead making several trips down. I'm not so concerned with the market as our area is holding steady. Its all relative anyway, I mean if its bad here it'll be bad there. Glad to hear you guys liked it...

Nashville is such a great place to live.. especially the outlining areas like franklin, brentwood, and spring hill...

Property is less expensive, but the quality of living here is out the roof!

With my three previous jobs, I traveled the US alot. Currently, I'm not interested in moving 'cause of family and friends but if I were to move Texas (Austin or Arlington, Ft Worth) would be my first choice.

Back