Scum floating at top of bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshae

Reaction score
I've brewed about 10 or 15 5-gal patches so far, so I'm pretty new at all this. On two of my more recent batches, I've had some sort of scum develop on the surface of the beer in the secondary fermenter (glass carboy). Even though I don't allow this scum to get transferred during bottling, I end up with a similar thing in the tops of my bottles. It looks like yeast, but it stays floating at the top.

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but I should mention that on these two batches, a fair amount of liquid from the airlock got sucked in (I use sanitizing solution).

The beer tastes fine, but the floaties have to be fished out before I can drink it...kinda gross.

If it's little dots all over the place, it's just yeast. It does that a lot in the clearing stages, nothing to worry about. Still, post a picture and taste and smell it. If it's starting to taste like not-beer, then it's time to be concerned.

Ok, here is a pic of a bottle. Sorry I don't have any nice, easy-to-photograph, clear carboys with the issue. This has been in the bottle for two weeks and a few days.

Update. I'm not sure if the beer is bad or I just don't like it. I've never made it before, so I don't have a different batch to compare against.

It's been 3 weeks and very little carbonation, too. I didn't forget priming sugar. :p

Did you sanitize your bottles, bottling bucket, wand and tubing before bottling? Did you boil your sugar before adding it to the bucket? Did you sanitize the caps?

Back