Once Again, The Government Has Ruined My Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andvari7

Reaction score
Yes, this is about brewing.

Last night, I scrambled to get out of work on time (I had been working longer days for the past few weeks), in order to ship two bottles of my original recipe (4:1 Maris Otter/Choco Rye; Amarillo, and Safale S-04). Entries had to be in by today, and I had been in New Jersey for the past week or so. After packaging my beer, I took the box to UPS, who informed me that they wouldn't ship it. After wasting an hour of my life, and after making vague death threats to the poor sap on the UPS customer service line, I finally learned that shipping beer is illegal, unless you have a wholesale liquor license, and that the ATF would impose a $15,000 fine on you, if you even thought about doing it.

Because I have no desire to pay the government any amount of money, for any conceivable reason, I have to ask: how do you do this, without getting, at best, rejected, and, at worst, arrested?

I have to ask: how do you do this, without getting, at best, rejected, and, at worst, arrested?

It's legal to ship UPS and FedEx, but it may be against their policy in some areas. I just don't mention what I'm shipping. "Don't ask, don't tell" is the policy I use.

It IS illegal to ship via US Postal Service, so I don't even try.

I had heard/read that it was only illegal to send it through the postal service, but not private companies like UPS or FedEx.

Shipping beer via USPS is illegal, it only violates the terms of service for UPS and Fedex. Next time don't tell them it's beer, that's how every homebrewer does it. I package, weigh, and print my own postage off of UPS's site and drop it off at UPS. I've never been asked what the contents are.

I'm relatively sure it is not illegal to ship it as long as money is not changing hands . It is against UPS policy, but many of us ship it under false pretenses and declare it to be "yeast samples" or "canned food" if asked.

I see. Thank you.

I really just wanted to use that sentence, and be truthful, for once.

Pretty sure shipping any alcohol without a licence/permit is technically illegal. That is why no one will ever tell you to tell the people at any shipping place that you are shipping beer. If they do ask, have a good response. For me, when I need it: "I'm shipping bbq sauce to my friends in the north." And when they fill my package back up and ship it back: "I'm sending maple syrup to my friend that lives in the south."

I have sent beer many times via UPS and just send it out in the mail. I have been told that if anyone asks its a "collectible with the contents still inside."

If you want to be mad at the government, ask why does wine always have more relaxed laws than beer? Usually 2-3 times more alcohol, twice the bottle size. Almost always able to self distribute.

For an hour or so, yes.

MY LIFE IS RUINED FOR AN HOUR!

that-don-t-make-no-sense-o.gif

THAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE!

As others have said... "Don't ask, Don't tell." Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

"I am sending preserved food items....." Technically, not even a lie.

UPS is not the government.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is. The Department of Transportation is. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is.

I needed to vent my frustration, ladies and gentlemen; don't take it too seriously.

Latest posts

Back