What's Your Favorite Drinking Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jak1010

Reaction score
What’s your favorite drinking glass?

Of all my household options, I’ve got several glasses that I choose to use on a regular basis. One for beer, one for wine and one for cordials…but I must say, nothing gives me more emotions and feelings than when I drink from the plastic hydrometer tube. That’s why I consider it my favorite.

Let me explain…

Whether it’s checking the original gravity just before pitching the yeast, checking the gravity for fermentation status, racking or bottling…I would say 99 out of 100 times, I taste what’s brewing from the tall thin plastic tube in which I test in. Heck, if I find that it tastes good I end up drinking the entire tube.

I find that it brings with it a mix of emotions. There are times when I go into “Mad Scientist” mode and get the feeling like I’m creating something out of a laboratory setting. Especially when there are others in the room and I’m passing it out saying “You’ve got to try this.” There are other times I get the “Redneck” feeling like when watching the TV show “Moonshiners” while they’re in the woods testing their brew. Either way, I always get the feeling of nostalgia knowing that there probably have been thousands of people (maybe more) who have done this before and for tens or hundreds of years and I’m just following along in their path.

If you can relate, you know what I’m saying and I’d like to hear from you. If not, then I sound crazy and I’d still like to hear from you.

Do you have a favorite drinking glass? What is it and why is it your favorite? Do you drink from the hydrometer tube?

Depends on the drink!

I usually use a shot glass when tasting samples of unfinished meads.
Otherwise, a wine or pilsner glass (depending on ABV and serving size) for meads, rocks or snifter for spirits, shot or distillers flute for liqueurs.

And of course, the Mead Horn

Slainte :mug:

It depends on the drink. For whiskey or mead, I'll take an old fashioned glass, though I do also use wine glasses for mead. For beer, got to be the imperial pint glass.

I'm a slob who leaves coffee mugs all over the house...so suffice it to say there is always a coffee mug close by so when tasting time rolls around I reach for the closest mug.

I get the different glasses for different drinks but I've never understood why there's different glasses for red and white wines. Can someone help me out with this? Is it a class thing or is there a real difference in the experience?

I'd have to say whichever glass in your colllection that is least likely to be knocked over. Especially when there are people around. Something nice and heavy on the bottom. Probably a double old fashioned. old fashioned.jpg For mead of course.

I get the dofferent glasses for different drinks but I've never understood why there's different glasses for red and white wines. Can someone help me out with this? Is it a class thing or is there a real difference in the experience?
It's supposed to focus the nose differently--I don't believe it changes the taste. That's assuming you can smell the difference...
And yes, there is the snob factor if you can afford multiple sets of expensive stemware.

I thought so but I've tried different White and Red glasses with each and couldn't tell or notice any difference. I'm not sure what to believe. I know someone who works in a wine shop and, when they serve wine, they have specific glasses for each. He swears by it and says his customers can tell as well.

I most frequently use a red wine glass. I like thin glass, an inward shaped rim, and a decent volume. I've been using the same one with just rinsing since I moved back home at the beginning of the month. The wife would cringe, if I hadn't left her behind in China.

I'm cheap, so I bottle my mead in mason jars. I love the feeling of drinking out of the jar instead of a regular cup. The only thing I like more is my engraved wooden pint-cup. So awesome!

I'm cheap, so I bottle my mead in mason jars. I love the feeling of drinking out of the jar instead of a regular cup. The only thing I like more is my engraved wooden pint-cup. So awesome!

Yup! I have a Lagunitas mason jar that is my fav drinking glass. If I am tasting something for the first time, its a snifter, so I can get a good wiff of everything. Probably my least fave is a reg pint glass. Boring and doesn't accuentate anything.

BWRIGHT: That's a good looking sturdy glass.

Wood Mugs and Mason jars!!! I love it...I've got to get my hands on a wooden drinking mug now.

Quaker: I find myself doing the same thing. I just give it a quick rinse. Not like it's dirty and, since they're so delicate, even hand washing can result in broken glasses.

THANKS GUYS!

I had the bamboo one being hewn from a 3" stalk by this guy. It was definitely novel, but the thick rim irritated the sides of my lips. Eventually the wife pitched it when it grew mold while in the cupboard.

image-266722024.jpg

Ahhhh...I can see how mold can be a problem with the wood mug. Unless you keep it used often with a high alcohol drink. The guy in the picture looks experienced!

MeadMax: Whatcha got in the bottles next to the New Glarus glass?

I wonder if drinking from a stainless steel container would change the flavor of a wine? I know that I can tell the difference when I drink beer from a bottle and drinking from a can and I perfer the bottle.

Don't think I've ever drank wine or mead from a steel container. Anybody have any experience?

Gotta get sentimental- GABF Tasting glass. :cross:

But when in bigger quantities, any wine / tulip is nice.

I was fairly amazed when I had Sam Adams in their glass side-by-side with a standard pint glass. There IS something to the way the beer hits your tongue, or whatever it is. :hs:

Gotta get sentimental- GABF Tasting glass. :cross:

But when in bigger quantities, any wine / tulip is nice.

I was fairly amazed when I had Sam Adams in their glass side-by-side with a standard pint glass. There IS something to the way the beer hits your tongue, or whatever it is. :hs:

That's funny, the same topic/debate was had by a few of my friends not long ago. One says he notices a difference and the other says it's a marketing plot by Sam Adams since those glasses (with the thing on the bottom that forms the bubbles) were selling for $9-$13 each. I don't think they ever came to an agreement and just kept on drinking.

My favorite glass is a colbalt blue wine glass I bought for a $1. The glass has such a smooth silky feel to it. You know, that really nice glass feel. Not some cheep thin unfinished thing. Price wise it was cheep, due to a slight thining on one side. So I got two for when it broke! ( not shure if it is a white or red wine glass, I drink both in it!)
I also have a glass coffe mug I use all the time. Sometimes for my wine, it holds more! I almost never wash it either...... A quick rinse when done and its back to full of water waiting for me. I like room temputere water:) A full glass is always best!

Yes, drinking from the hydrometer test tube is a neccessary part of checking wines!!

My favorite glass is a colbalt blue wine glass I bought for a $1. The glass has such a smooth silky feel to it. You know, that really nice glass feel. Not some cheep thin unfinished thing. Price wise it was cheep, due to a slight thining on one side. So I got two for when it broke! ( not shure if it is a white or red wine glass, I drink both in it!)
I also have a glass coffe mug I use all the time. Sometimes for my wine, it holds more! I almost never wash it either...... A quick rinse when done and its back to full of water waiting for me. I like room temputere water:) A full glass is always best!

Yes, drinking from the hydrometer test tube is a neccessary part of checking wines!!

Colbalt blue is great...and for $1 is one heck of a score! Go you : ) Great idea buying more than one.

Back