fermentation temps in long-aged beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
Ive been hanging out around 1.060 because of my lack of a fermentation chamber working in sub-tropical temps (virginia beach). However, Id like to start making some big beers.

Im almost positive I can keep the initial fermentation temps in the 65-70 range. However, I dont think I can store a big beer for 6 months in that range. Is it ok to primary in the correct range and then let the aging get done in temps that are a tad higher (70-75)??? or should I just wait until I can put together a fermentation chamber? I deal with summers topping out in the 100s and winters in the 30s and we dont have basements at sea-level.

Ive got my eye on a baltic porter and Id like to brew it now for next winter. But Im scared:cross:

Do you have room and money for a small chest freezer? Here in Hawai`i where it's warm all the time that's what I use. Don't see any problem if you brew now in the middle of the winter and later store it at 70-75 in bottles.

On second thought there is nothing special about a Baltic Porter. Why not wait until your temps go down in 2013 and brew it then. I should be finished in 6 weeks.

Back