Bottling at 1.020. Add priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Painter

Reaction score
I have five gallons of porter that has been been stuck at 1.020 for over two weeks now. The directions said it should finish at 1.012. As another thread suggests, it may be due to it being made from extract, so I think I'm just going to go ahead and bottle. The question is, should I add priming sugar or just bottle without it? I don't want bombs. By the way, the uncarbonated sample that I took for the hydrometer reading tasted pretty good, if a bit sweet.

I have five gallons of porter that has been been stuck at 1.020 for over two weeks now. The directions said it should finish at 1.012. As another thread suggests, it may be due to it being made from extract, so I think I'm just going to go ahead and bottle. The question is, should I add priming sugar or just bottle without it? I don't want bombs. By the way, the uncarbonated sample that I took for the hydrometer reading tasted pretty good, if a bit sweet.

A porter at 1.020 sounds fine. I'd bottle it and call it good! I'd use 4 ounces of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

Have you raised the temp of the fermenter to see if it will go down anymore? In order to generate co2 to carb the beer you will need to add sugar. But you have to make sure fermentation is indeed stuck first.

I raised the temperature and got bubbling, but that stopped two weeks ago when I first got the 1.020 reading. I could probably raise the temperature again (currently is is at about 60) just to sell. I wasn't planning on bottling for a few days.

60F is a lil low for many ale yeasts ime. Raise it to 65F & swirl up some yeast. It can knock down a couple points in a week. But may take a day to get working again in my observations.

You can try to raise the temperature and swirl it, but depending on mash temp. 1.020 could be end.. this is not a strange FG for porters.

Yeah,true. It depends on how much crystal malts & other no-fermentables that the maltster used to make the extract. Also if you put all the malt in at the begining of the boil. That could creat more unfermentables.

Back