Is this normal to see? (picture inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarnumboy

Reaction score
I have a supplication Clone that is at 5 Months young. I decided to take a look at it since it has been a while. I have not had the stopper off of it in a while so there has been no Oxygen presence for months and the little pellicle that did form is long gone.

My question is about the thin layer of sediment that is forming along the bottom and sides of my better Bottle. This is something new it has started since the last time I checked it. Anything to worry about?

This is a Clone that was mostly fermented out using WLP540 Abbey Ale Yeast and infected with WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1 along with the dregs of 3 Supplication bottles.

Thanks Guys

IMG_20121014_201321.jpg

Personally it looks like flocculating sediment. I have seen this on plenty of sacch fermentations. I could only assume that as the bugs continue their work that you would get similar effects.

Definitely yeast flocculation.

The pellicle may come back and may come back looking entirely different than it did before. Whether it's there or not is not something to be alarmed about.

Ok that is good to know. I Chilled this batch for 4 days to try and get rid of most of the Sach before pitching the bugs, so hopefully this is from the Brett in the Sour mix and the supplication. I will find out next month when i try it and toss in my oak chips and Dried cherries :)

I Chilled this batch for 4 days to try and get rid of most of the Sach before pitching the bugs, so hopefully this is from the Brett in the Sour mix and the supplication.:)

Next time don't chill. The Brett feeds on the dead sacc. I usually rack after a week to get it off the trub, but still with lots of sacc in suspension.

Back