texas brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorcen

Reaction score
looking for people brewing in the mission/mcallen TX area... need someone to toss around ideas with

What's up fellow brewer in way south Texas!! I thought i was the only one down here. Got a brew session scheduled for this Saturday 7/16/11.... Send me a PM so we can chat.

I was happy to "meet" someone from Port Lavaca on this forum a while back, and I didn't think anybody in the coastal bend brewed and I was worried about it being hard to go more than two months without homebrewing when we're in Texas!

Last winter, I had the homebrewing withdrawal pretty bad. We were in Rockport, driving down a sidestreet and I saw what I thought was a single tier brew sculpture in a driveway. I yelled "stop the truck!" at Bob and made him back up. I was so excited, I was going to go knock and the door and introduce myself to see if I could talk brewing with someone. When Bob backed up, I saw it was a peanut boiling set up. Darn it! :drunk:

You guys might be it on here. I'm about 4 hours up the road on 281 from you guys.

And Yooper, it's always good to see another Packers fan!

Great to see there are at least two other home brewers in South Texas. I am in Harlingen, not too far from McAllen. I am fairly new to this, but having a lot of fun. Drinking a Porter as I say hello. Still a little green, but it is difficult to keep enough in the pipeline to let it age properly. Anyway, first post, "Hail and well met".

I used to cross the border at Los Ebanos on my motorcycle, spend a week or so riding deep into Mexico camping in the mountains. Those were the good old days.

One more deep south texas brewer here!!! I'm in edinburg. My friend who taught me to brew is in mission and I know a few guys from UTPA that are in mcallen.

Are there any local places to get brewing supplies? maybe dry yeast for emergency pitching? I know feldman's market at 10th and Bus 83 sold 3 gal carboys, auto siphons and grolsch bottle gaskets when they opened but I think that is gone now.

One more deep south texas brewer here!!! I'm in edinburg. My friend who taught me to brew is in mission and I know a few guys from UTPA that are in mcallen.

Are there any local places to get brewing supplies? maybe dry yeast for emergency pitching? I know feldman's market at 10th and Bus 83 sold 3 gal carboys, auto siphons and grolsch bottle gaskets when they opened but I think that is gone now.

I have not found anything local. I usually use Homebrewparty in San Antonio or Austin Homebrew. Previously my son was going to college in San Marcos so I would get up that way regularly. Now I need to plan on a 3 to 6 month supply on each visit.

We spend the winters in the Coastal Bend, and I have some neighbors who extract brew. But otherwise, I don't see any brewing at all, and I think the nearest homebrew shop is San Antonio.

I did "talk" to a guy from Ingleside, so I hope we can do a brewday this winter, but I'm not holding out much hope!

I live in Little Rock Arkansas but own a house at Crystal Beach Texas just across the bay from Galveston. We are down there twice a month and plan to retire there. I have brewed there several times and know there are LHBSs at Clear Lake near NASA and Defalcos in Houston. If you are ever down or over that way give me a PM and maybe we can meet up and have a cold HB...or maybe plan a brew session. As far as I know I am the only homebrewer on Bolivar Peninsula.
ron

I am a home brewer in San Antonio. So glad I have a local shop to get supplies from.

Back