Oxygen opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogget

Reaction score
Preparing to start brewing lagers, and am looking at oxygen systems. I see the efficiency and speed of the disposable canister systems, but the aquarium pump systems are less expensive and have fewer long term costs. I don't mind leaving it bubbling while I clean up the brewery. What are your thoughts?

An oxygen system only costs marginally more (I recommend the one from Williams Brewing with the stone on a wand), and allows you to get more than 8ppm DO. I'd go with the oxygen, as you'll probably end up switching to it anyways.

Here's a second for pure oxygen. I have the William's Brewing too. Very convenient. The benefit of oxygen is getting greater than 8ppm in a much shorter time period. Read the book "Yeast" sometime for more on yeast health and you'll see why Oxygen is better than air. You'll still make beer with air, but you'll make better beer with oxygen.

I figured this would be the general consensus. What's the best stone to go with? Finding mixed reviews.

I have to agree with the previous posters. I've noticed less lag time and better fermentation especially with bigger beers since I started using oxygen. As far as which stone to use I can't really say. I bought the kit from Williams as well and have been very pleased so far. If you end up getting that one everything you need is included except for the O2 tank. One thing I would be sure to do though is not just saturate your wort but the head space of your fermentor. I was reading some posts on here about that and have since been doing it with pretty good success.

I switched from an aquarium pump and air stone to a pure O2 system and you can't compare the two. Pure O2 is the way to go!

I figured this would be the general consensus. What's the best stone to go with? Finding mixed reviews.

I'd get the wand from William's and then use a O2 tank (20 cubic foot from a gas supplier) and flow meter regulator (like this one). The regulator (linked to) allows you to actually set the LpM rate for the oxygen. The cheapo regulator you get with the full kit (from William's) has no way for you to know how much oxygen you're putting into the wort. Also, with the standard CGA 540 connection means you can use normal O2 tanks (from welding gas suppliers) and end up going through far less tanks/bottles. I used the disposable tank (with matching regulator) initially, but it didn't last all that long and had no way for you to know how much O2 you're pushing.

Just get some 3/16" ID Bevlex hose to connect the wand to the regulator and you'll be set. You should be able to get a swivel nut from the welding supply store that will fit the regulator and have the 3/16" barb on it. I got mine from them for my O2 regulators.

BTW, you can sometimes find the same type of regulators on ebray. But, with them being reasonably priced on Amazon, for brand new ones (most on ebray are not brand new) I'd just purchase from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Golddiggie. I went with a pediatric version of the same regulator. Does the same thing, just allows you to really dial the flow down. I run a 1/2 liter per minute for 4 minutes.

I think this pretty much saturates the headspace with O2 and any bit that dissolves on the way to the surface is bonus.

With the wand, and attached air stone, it goes into the wort. I'm sure some is released above the wort, but enough gets infused to do the job. Next gadget for me is a DO meter, so that I can take a reading after infusion.

I typically run 1-1.5LpM for 60-90 seconds. Bigger beers (above 10% ABV target) get a bit longer (up to 120 seconds). I typically see short lag phase times. Of course, pitching a yeast slurry from a starter also helps. :rockin:

Back