Crankandstein motorized super mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcb

Reaction score
I picked up a used crankanstein 3D from a fellow HBT member and as usual over did it on the end product! I have a buddy that was able to help me out with the aluminum and a local welder (I am only set up to weld mild steel) who majorly hooked me up. I will post more pics from start to finish but the basic parts list is: 1 Dayton Gearmotor used from CL ($30), 1 Dayton Drum Switch ($30), 1 used barebones CrankandStein 3D ($100), bunch of free aluminum and a whole lot of time! The motor may be underpowered at 1/6HP and 46 in lbs of torque but we'll see......

Sitting next to my 15# hopper Barley Crusher

test_up.jpg

I think it's set to factory when I initially checked it, I also haven't found a good primer on how to adjust the 3D. Milled grain samples were pretty close to my .040 barley crusher. Trying to get this right so any pointers are appreciated, next weekend I have 60lbs to grind for a 20 gallon batch of Belgian dark strong.

I have my mm3 set to .0032" and I always condition my grains. I get really pretty husks this way and fairly good efficiency (86 - 89%). I constantly recirc my mash so the nice husks are helpful in maintaining a good flow rate.

cool. thanks! I also do a constant recirc of my mash, my efficiency is usually in the mid 80's so I wouldn't mind a little boost. I'm going to grind 5 lbs or so to see if it binds up, the good news is that these motors are really expensive and torquey and I got two of them for $60 so worse case scenario I sell both of them and get one new 1/3 or 1/2 HP version as they use the same bracket and wiring....

Wow, no issue Crushing 22lbs of grain in a few minutes with the 1/6 hp gear motor!

This thing is truly a beast! Ground another 31 lbs in a few minutes perfectly and doing 55lbs for a Tripel tomorrow! Party on!

nice now sell me your barley crusher for cheap! Im a POOR!! Grad student

ekjohns said:
nice now sell me your barley crusher for cheap! Im a POOR!! Grad student

Lol, I didn't want to get rid of 'ol reliable until I knew that my science project would work! I actually have a jsp and the BC. Maybe I'll post them on the classifieds.....

Yeah I know how it goes I have problems letting things go as well

Yeah email me at [email protected] and we can see if we can work something out.

The things off of the top of my head:
2 product, 3 gauge regulator
20lb co2 tank
Yeast slants
Yeast slanting starter kit

160 rpm.

Full specs:
AC Gearmotor, Parallel Shaft, Voltage Rating 115/230, 1 Phase, 60/50 Hz, Nameplate RPM 160, Full Load Torque (In.-Lbs.) 45, Overhung Load (Lb.) 196, Input HP 1/6, Gear Ratio 10:1, Full Load Amps 2.90/1.45, TEFC Enclosure, None Thermal Protection, All Position Mounting, Motor Type Permanent Split Capacitor
Grainger Item # 6MK80
Brand DAYTON
Mfr. Model # 6MK80
UNSPSC # 26101602
Ship Weight (lbs.) 25.55
Gearmotor, AC, 160 RPM

Sorry to resurrect this thread to ask a noob question. Marc, is your motor torque 45 pound/inch? Is that enough to start with the mill with a full hopper?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back