Got myself all worked up into a tizzy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
2 batches ago I made a Belgian Pale ale that blew off its airlock and was exposed to the elements for about 8 hours. The beer refuses clear and has a nice layer of white crap on top of the beer. I took a sample and it tastes pretty terrible. I am gonna let it ride for a few more weeks and see what happens.

Now on my most recent batch , 10 gallons split into 2 fermentors one is clearing up and the yeast is dropping fast while the other still has what looks like tons of yeast in suspension. I am worried that this batch might be infected as well.

I havn't ever had a problem in a year and half until these last 2 batches.

Time for a major cleaning. Replace all your hoses and deep clean everything including the containers you store your stuff in.

Let that second one go and let it settle for another week or so, assuming fermentation has subsided. But yes, I think it sounds like a good cleaning is in order.

Yeah, I'll let both beers ride and see what happens I am just really annoyed if my suspicions are correct. Purely from a standpoint of keeping the supply steady. But yes I plan on a major cleaning day before I brew again.

Hose is pretty cheap to replace. I always feel I need to replace anything that I can't reach with a brush at some point, and my auto-siphon comes to mind. I wish the little piece at the bottom that allows the one-way flow came off. Even my bottling wand disassembles for cleaning. Also check your carboy corks, run a brush through the airlock hole with some cleaner and then sanitize.

When I've run my narrow brush through hose I'm always amazed at what comes off, but I can't reach all the way in. Maybe a longer brush, like 2-3 feet, would be a good purchase to keep them clean. No amount of agitation or forcing cleaner through seems to work.

This thread makes me realize I'm due for a thorough cleaning of everything again.

Well the newest batch started to clear up finally. It must have just caught a lot more of the trub then normal. And the Belgian pale I thought was infected turned out to just be a reflection of the yeast and hop particles stuck to the top of the carboy. The beer is tasting better but still seems off so I'll let it mellow for a long while before I drink it.

Thanks for all of the advice though. After the scare I will most def be cleaning the crap out of my equipment. Before I brew my porter next week.

Back