Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangebrew55

Reaction score
I just made a stater for the first time I placed it in a growler and put an air lock on top. I'm waiting for it to start fermenting, but I guess my question is If I don't end up using it to brew in the next few days is it bad? Do I just put the starter in the fridge and use it when I'm ready? How do I store it once it's fermented out, and will it still work?

Yup, put it in the fridge and crash out the yeast and you will be good to go for about a week, if longer I would give it more food to restart it. Otherwise, when you pull it out of the fridge, decant the spent beer, and set on the counter to let the yeast slowly warm up to pitching temp while you brew.

Also you may want to remove the airlock and cover it with a sanitized piece of foil, or a sanatized foam stopper. The idea is to let as much air in as possible while limiting the amount of microbes that get in.

Also give it a good shake or swirl whenever it crosses your mind. You want as much oxygen getting into the wort as possible for the yeast to use in reproduction!

the only activity I usually see in starters is a increasing yeast cake on the bottom. If there is ever a krausen it is short lived and I usually miss it!

Back