angry apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr210

Reaction score
so i am trying my hand at edwort's apfelwein recipe, and it seemed easy enough. thing is, its been in the bucket for like 3 or 4 days and the airlock wasnt bubbling at all, so i gave it a little shake to try and maybe aerate it a bit and see if that would help the problem. when i did, it was like all hell broke loose in the bucket, suddenly gas and sanitized water started shooting out of my airlock and some apfelwein even seeped through the seal on the lid. now, the airlock bubbles like normal, but if i give it another shake, it happens again. can anyone give me some insight as to why this happened? i dont think it compromised the quality at all, but its weird. i tried giving my pale ale and mead a shake too to see if thats just what happens when you piss off your yeast, but they stayed quiet.

I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds like maybe the krausen rose to the lid and clogged the airlock slightly, so when you shake it it manages to squeeze out a little. Not sure that made sense... :drunk:

you dont get a krausen with cider.. you get alot of bubbles coming up from the bottom forming a little bit of a froth top for a couple days if anything at all.. sounds like you have a leak in the seal of your bucket and splashing a little liquid up there sealed it for now...

It sounds like your airlock was blocked or something which forced all the CO2 back into solution so when you shook it, it was like shaking a bottle of soft drink? That's all I can come up with..

you can get krausen with cider. Depends on the yeast you use. But still, it's nothing like the head on a beer for sure.

lol.. if you forced the co2 back into solution it would have blown the top off your bucket for sure... you just shook it up and released the c02 from solution and that made it angry :)
Edit: and seald your leak causing your airlock into action!!!

Back