Very confused about bottle priming!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've looked all over this board, and it seems the more I read, the more confused I become. I just started reading about things like the bottle priming calculator on tastybrew.com, which is confusing me even more. For my first two brews, I've used extract kits from NB. Both kits say to use 2/3 cup of corn sugar when bottling, which if I am correct is about 5.3oz. Here's the problem, if I plug a German Hefeweizen (my first brew)into the calculator (5 gallons/68 degrees) it says to use 8.5 oz. That seems very high, doesn't it? A Belgian White shows 4oz.

I'm ready to bottle a Tripel IPA this week and the kits says to use 2/3 cup plus 1 or 2 oz. So...what's the best way to go? Buy a scale and use the calculator, or just follow kit instructions.

Thanks!

Buy a scale and use the calculator. Its much more accurate and you'll see much more appropriately carbonated beers.

I don't know the math for conversion, but the ounces in the measuring cup is fluid ounces and I bet the ounces in the calculator is ounces by weight.

Try weighing the stuff you have in the measuring cup and see if it's close to what you need.

8.5 oz in a 5 gallon batch seems a bit much. and by a bit I mean a lot.

The reason that some styles are calling for more sugar than others is because some styles call for more carbonation than other styles. Example- a heff will be more fizzy than a cask style ale.

Yeah, that seems like quite a bit. If you choose to follow those instructions I would leave a little more headspace than usual, and talk that neighbor you don't like to open the first one... just in case :)

4.5 oz = 3/4 cup = perfect carb levels for the average beer (5 gal). obviously go up or downa bit from there.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've got a somewhat related question that I didn't think deserved its own: If you're replacing corn sugar (or some other sugar) with DME, do you use the same amount? I'm have a recipe that says to use either 1/2 cup of corn sugar or 1 cup of DME, and I figured since it called for 4.5 lbs of DME in the boil and I have 5 lbs I would just use the excess for priming, and, as this is my first batch, I'd like to minimize the problems.

I'm not sure of the exact conversion (look it up on HBT) but yes, if you use DME instead of sugar you'll use more since it is less fermentable.

B

Just bottled a hefe (2.5g) and beersmith calculator called for 4.3oz corn sugar at 68deg for a 4.0 carb val. I've heard both good and bad things on this amount hope I don't have bombs?

I use the priming calculator at http://www.brewheads.com/priming.php
It also accounts for the type of sugar being used. And yes,these amounts are by dry weight,which is different from liquid measure. I got a nice digital scale with a tempered glass platform for $19.97 at super wallyworld. It measures pounds,kilograms,grams,& ounces. Best 20 bucks you can spend for accuracy,& piece of mind.

Back