Homemade Diet Coke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutwolf

Reaction score
Hi all --

My gf is a fountain diet coke addict. Bottled or canned is not the same, she likes the fresh from the fountain diet coke.

I was thinking some sort of small at home kit would be a good x-mas present.

I saw the Penguin Sodastream, but the flavors are all very generic and supposedly don't taste like the real thing.

Knowing my GF, if it doesn't taste like the real thing, the gift will be a dud.

So, a few questions:

1) Is it possible to buy real diet coke syrup anywhere?

2) Would the real diet coke syrup work with the Penguin Sodastream?

3) If not, what's the cheapest and easiest way to provide her the fountain soda experience at home?

Thanks all

just going out on a limb here:
buy a kegging setup with a 5 gallon keg and a tank of CO2 and 5 gallons of bottled diet coke. sanitize the keg and dump in the 5 gallons of coke and carbonate. Maybe?
I'm not sure if that would make much difference in the taste tho.

Hi all --

My gf is a fountain diet coke addict. Bottled or canned is not the same, she likes the fresh from the fountain diet coke.

I was thinking some sort of small at home kit would be a good x-mas present.

I saw the Penguin Sodastream, but the flavors are all very generic and supposedly don't taste like the real thing.

Knowing my GF, if it doesn't taste like the real thing, the gift will be a dud.

So, a few questions:

1) Is it possible to buy real diet coke syrup anywhere?

2) Would the real diet coke syrup work with the Penguin Sodastream?

3) If not, what's the cheapest and easiest way to provide her the fountain soda experience at home?

Thanks all
You're in NJ. Call Reliable Carbonic in New Brunswick. They will sell you genuine Diet Coke syrup and advise you how to serve it. They are very ...reliable? hahaha haha ha:cross:

You can call just about any beverage dealer and get real Coke syrup. I think they usually sell it in fountain boxes and then you'd need a water hookup, but i don't see why you couldn't get cornies of Coke somehow.

just going out on a limb here:
buy a kegging setup with a 5 gallon keg and a tank of CO2 and 5 gallons of bottled diet coke. sanitize the keg and dump in the 5 gallons of coke and carbonate. Maybe?
I'm not sure if that would make much difference in the taste tho.

I may just be an *******, but I don't think I'd go through the trouble of pouring out 5 gallons worth of coke bottles. Anyways, for the OP, good luck finding a commercial product identical to Coke, I'm sure they have that stuff under lock and key. Your best bet is just to convince her that pepsi is better.

I picked up Diet Coke syrup at SAMs club (was told it's usually sold there and found it).

Will it work with the soda stream products?

Also, I'll give that new Brunswick place a call. Thx!

I picked up Diet Coke syrup at SAMs club (was told it's usually sold there and found it).

Will it work with the soda stream products?

Also, I'll give that new Brunswick place a call. Thx!

you can use any syrups with the sodastream units, but the mixing ratio will be different. with regular bag-in-box syrups, the ratio is 5 parts soda water to 1 part of syrup. for diet syrups, the ratio is 5.5 parts soda water to 1 part of syrup. sodastream syrups are much more concentrated, between 20:1 and 24:1..

So, just to be clear, if I use 20 oz of soda water made with the penguin, I'd use a little over 3.5 oz of the real diet coke syrup?

Whereas using the sodastream syrups, I'd only use 1 oz or so?

So, just to be clear, if I use 20 oz of soda water made with the penguin, I'd use a little over 3.5 oz of the real diet coke syrup?

Whereas using the sodastream syrups, I'd only use 1 oz or so?

Yes, roughly. Test it out a couple times and see which she likes best.

Latest posts

Back