Do you remember trying your first beer you brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
I brewed an extract stone IPA clone and it has been in the bottles for about a week, I know it's still green but I tried my first one on Friday to taste the difference once it ages but I can happily say it was still awesome. The beer turned out great and I cant wait for it to age. I can finally RDWHAHB instead of RDWHASBB. This forum ROCKS!! :mug:

Yep... A mint chocolate sotut, it was f****** awful.. :) Congrats on your first brew!

My frist brew was a Belgian Triple....It was friggin awesome....Along the lines of La Fin Du Monde, and Westmelle Tripple I was highly impressed. I was hooked from that point on.

Mine was a brewer's best IPA kit fermented in an apartment closet in Tempe Arizona in summer. I was too cheap/poor to leave the AC on when I wasn't there... so yeah. My first brew tasted bad.

The first beer I brewed was kit beer (Bock) with LME, grain, and some type of dry yeast. I read the instructions and followed them until it said to bottle. Following them was the problem. While I do not remember the exact wording, but after stepping grains, boiling wort, adding hops, the instructions stated to cool the wort to 80 degrees, add yeast, wait 4 days and then bottle.

Coming from a wine background, 80 degrees for pitching yeast seemed fine. So, I pitched the yeast and watched over the next two days at one of the most vigorous fermentation I had ever seen. Fermentation temp? All above 80 degrees the entire time At 4 days, I decided that I really did not want to bottle, so I transferred to a secondary and put it in a 65 degree room, but the wort stayed in the mid-70's most of the time.

Left the beer in the secondary for 7days and tasted it. I was bad - real bad. Like jet fuel. Bad alcohol tastes and smells everywhere. I thought the beer would be ruined, but remembered some of the bad wine I had made in the past that turned good. So, I transferred to a bottling bucket. About half-way through the transfer, the secondary slipped off the wedge it was on, which disturbed the turb, meaning I got quite a bit of it in the bottling bucket. I was already upset with the beer, so I said screw it, I'm not waiting for the turb to settle again, added corn sugar to carb, and bottled it.

The beer spent a month in the bottle in a 65 degree room before I put some in the fridge for a week. When I tasted it, it still had an alcohol taste, and a semi-unpleasant after taste, but overall it was somewhat drinkable. Two weeks later I put more in the fridge and left it there for a two more weeks. What I found was that the beer had morphed into some really good beer that even my wife liked. It just seems that as time went on, the beer just got better and better. The only complaint I had with the beer was a very slight plastic/alcohol type aftertaste when breathing out (or burping), and a prominent layer of sediment from the turb that I disturbed when transferring.

So, I would say that with all the problems I had, my first beer was a success. I also learned that time heals all sorts of bad things.

This is one topic that actually fills me with sadness. If you have a beer good, if not, this may make you want one. I have shared this before and am NOT looking to hijack this thread with sympathy remarks, I am just retelling my story...

I started home brewing with my father last year on St Patty's Day weekend. He surprised me and we had a FANTASTIC time. It was an extract Pale ale kit from Austin Homebrew. :tank:

We had a few of these when they were ready togeather and I bet they are the most horrid thing to ever be called beer and drank but I liked them. I designed up a second batch from the LHBS and made it a few weeks later.

About 2 1/2 months after the 1st brew day dad was rushed to the hospital and they thought he was having a stroke. Turns out he had brain cancer, of the worst possible variety. He lost the fight 4 months, almost to the day, later.

I still have 13 of these beers left and I have used bottling wax on the caps to prevent anything ELSE from going poorly. I will have one every year on St. Patty's day weekend and then smash the bottle. With 1 exception and that will be on my wedding day next spring.

So unfortunately for me, my 1st beer has the best and worst memories associated with it. I honestly think this has been a driving goal in keeping me brewing, that and all the help to be had here on HBT!

First one was a ahbs kit that came out pretty decent... the second brew was a hefeweizen i brewed for the ex that came out horrific.

It was a year ago last Monday that I did my first batch ...a belgian ale...turned out nice... Nov. 21 will be one year since I first tried one...going to have to have one to celebrate one year of brewing

I brewed Mr. Beer kits on and off for about a year before I gave up on them completely. I would say every beer I made the first year I brewed was god awful. I fed a lot of it to my plants. I still blame Mr. Beer kits and their "open fermentors" but I'm sure a lot of it was my lack of skill and knowledge as well. I haven't brought myself to try a Mr. Beer kit now that I know what I'm doing. It would be interesting to see how it turns out.

I remember it like it was yesterday... except it was last week! lol
The beer is great, thanks largely in part to my lhbs.

Brewer's Best English Pale Ale. It was really awful, but my friends and I were still ecstatic. We pitched one vial of yeast into un-aerated wort and wondered why nothing was happening... We looked into the problem and discovered our error and then aerated the beer (still wort) and added another vial of yeast. I'm sure some other bugs took hold during those first two days cause the end result was really funky.

LHBS belgian white kit.

I drank 75% of them within 2 weeks of bottling.
I knew you weren't supposed to, but screw it, I MADE BEER FOR GOD'S SAKE!

I was a little depressed, since it had some slightly gross soapy flavor.
It went away after a month or so in the bottle, just like you guys said it would. :D

Brewer's Best Continental Pilsner in freshman year at Ferris State. I still remeber the disclaimer of the shop owner "I can't stop you from buying this because it's food products" blah blah. We took it back to the dorm, stunk up the hall despite towels stuffed everywhere around doors and a fan blowing out the shared bathroom window boiling on the electric hot-plate. Luckily it was winter so the fermentation temps. let us produce something drinkable. I still don't remember what that or the honey brown ale we followed it up with tasted like exactly but it's kept the fire burning so they couldn't have been that bad.

Damn, Zamial...that's a rough story. But I like the way you've turned it into a tradition. I do the same thing with movies I used to watch with my dad. He never got to have any of my homebrew, but I think he would have liked it. :mug:

My first brew was a Belgian Pale Ale kit from Morebeer. It wasn't horrid, but it wasn't good either...someone above mentioned jet fuel, and that's definitely what it tasted like at first. It got slightly better with time, but it fermented at like 75-80F and never really recovered. I now praise the gods of cheap temperature control!

A red ale that aged about a week. I brought some to work one night and my buddy and I had a couple outside. He ended up swallowing some yeast and said it was 'chunky'. It wasn't bad, but I haven't made it again and that was almost 11 years ago.

Back