what is a false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a perforated plate that is installed at the bottom of an MLT to allow the wort to drain out, but keep the spent grain at bay. the outlet tube goes through the center of it and opens below. As it is concave (or convex, depending on your POV), there is space below it when it rests on the bottom of the MLT, and the liquid is allowed to be filtered and removed.

see here

hope this helps

Yeah. The barb that you see is the top of the chiller. You attach a tube or pipe from that to the bulkhead that you have the valve or whatever attached to on the wall of your MLT. the other side of that elbow below the bottom is open, to allow liquid out. when it gets below the level of the tube, it will siphon as long as there are no leaks in the plumbing.

I think I've seen then used in kettles too, so that you can keep the break material and hops out of your primary. The kettle has a convenient spigot at the bottom so you can just drain right into your carboy and go.

I'm totally jealous of the people with this setup :)

Yeah. I am building my sanke brewpot now, though I am just going with a single copper pipe manifold. For the MLT, I am making a full copper manifold, since I am using a rectangular cooler.

uh......that might be the west coast answer. I live in Tight buttoned New England.:D

Back