Columbus, OH group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chefencore

Reaction score
It seems I brew when most people are taking a break - anyone know of any group buys in Cbus ohio?

I'd like to be in the loop too. I brew pretty consistently...about once a month.

I'm up by Toledo, but would be willing to make the trip down. I can ask the couple clubs I am involved with if any would want in as well.

I would be willing to be a Cleveland/Toledo mid point in Vermilion if planned on a weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm in the Mansfield area and would be in for a couple of bags. Anyone know the min number of bags/pounds/dollars required to make a bulk buy? I'd be happy to transport bags from Columbus to Mansfield to save the guys up north a few hours driving. If my location is the most central I wouldn't mind making the order if it helps. Either way, I'm in.

I'm in Columbus and would probably be up for a bag or two. I'll check around and see if any of my friends would also want in

The last grain I purchased I got from label peelers on their big sale... if we can match or beat it I'm all in for getting more. This is what I got and the pricing (picked up, no ship, no tax):
1 x Avangard Malz Wheat Malt 55 lb (1866C) $40.49
1 x Briess Pale Malt 2 Row 50 lb (1928C) $37.75
1 x Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen Malt 55 lb (1850C) $37.49

If it's not even close I might wait on another sale to buy again.

I can head this up if needed, stay at home father and all I do is look for deals all day, hav a truck too. In the Cleveland/Lakewood area if we can get a bit more from here. Label Peelers responded to my question about bulk:
----------------------------
We offer wholesale rates for homebrew clubs. Just use the code:
homebrewclub
During checkout and it will take an additional 10% off of the 10% sale we are currently having and you will save 20%.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
----------------------------

So, if we wait for a good sale say another 20% off then we could potential save 30% on top. I am down that way (Kent) a lot so can pick it up as well. Can someone who is able to do a new thread post a cleveland buy and refer them to this thread?

If there's interest, I can contact one of the local shops here in Columbus to see what they can do. Might also be able to contact one of the local microbreweries and get a discount through them if they order ours with theirs, not sure if there are any issues with that or not though (legally). I'll probably need a rough estimate of quantity and what will be ordered.

I'm definitely interested. Would be willing to drive to Columbus or Cleveland, equal distance for me. I'm pretty close to Toledo.

It seems we have a few people interested in a group buy. Anybody been involved in one before. We will need someone to organize, order and collect the money. I imagine we will need someone who has access to a shipping dock if we are filling a pallet or more. Any ideas/thoughts.

Beehemel was the only one, from what I can tell, that might have solid leads. Any news from him?

I sent an email to one of the LHBS in Westerville (Buckeye BrewCraft) to check pricing and see if he's willing to place the order. Once I receive a reply from him I'll pass along the information. If I'm thinking correctly, he could probably hold the bags and everyone would pick them up/pay him directly. I've never organized one of these before so if someone has another way to go about it, feel free to let me know.

Buckeye BrewCraft replied and said with an order of at least 6 bags he would price 2 row at $50. His normal price for a bag is $54 so he's giving a little break, but not as much as some of the other posts I've seen in this thread. I don't know what the prices would be if we could get together 10-20 bags, we might be able to get a little more off.

We have a new LHBS opening in Mansfield which is interested in helping us with a bulk buy. They are getting me prices for Briess 2-row brewer's malt and 2-row 60L as a sampling. I hope to hear from them in a few days and I'll let you know what the pricing is.

Would love to see it around $35-40 with shipping included to drop location. Also interested in bulk hops buy if anyone wants to take that on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anyone up to the task of organizing this and checking to see if we can get a reasonable rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can I'm a stay at home dad and all I do is look for deals.

Wow. and to think i started this thread a year ago… so what’s the time frame on this? has anyone looked into hops?

Probably another year. I'm in Cleveland and running quickly out of grain... I am in for 2 sacks at least if not more. If you guys want let's get together how much grain we all want and then I can start calling around. Leave your forum handle, amount wanted and location maybe, maybe some local shops and numbers... Otherwise I'll call what's close to me which is a lot. Jw dover, label peelers, grape & granary, cle brew shop, and brew mentor.

I'd take a sack of MO, depending upon maltster and price. Well, and where pickup is. Columbus or Cleveland are fine, too far out and the extra gas will make the savings silly.

gwaugh is in for 4 sacks- 2 each 2-row and MO. I'm equal distance from Cleveland or Columbus so either location is fine with me.

Anyone else? I'll give it a good week or more then start calling. Can anyone connect the Columbus people to the Cleveland people? I'm down in the Kent and Akron area a lot so can meet whomever.

HBT Handle | # Sacks | Location
===============================
theck | (1) MO (1) 2-row | Cleveland
GuldTuborg | (1) MO | Columbus/Cleveland
jimyson | (2) MO (2) 2-row | Columbus
gwaugh | (2) MO (2) 2-row | Columbus/Cleveland
Thadeus_d3 | (2) MO (2) 2-row | Cleveland
Total Sacks: (8) MO, (7) 2-row

Beehemel (1) 2-row | Columbus
Total Sacks: (8) MO, (8) 2-row

Total Sacks: (8) MO, (8) 2-row

I emailed the local shop here in Westerville again to see if we can get a better price with 16 sacks. I'll report back with his reply.

I would expect that since a pallet is 40 bags, that's what we really need to get superb pricing. Let's all reach out to our brew buddies to see if they may want in.

I know I've got a couple friends that have expressed interest, I'll see what they might want. I should see them tonight and have an answer tomorrow.

Please add 1 more of each to me.

jimyson | (3) MO (3) 2-row | Columbus
Total Sacks: (9) MO, (9) 2-row

Got this after asking Label Peelers about a discount. I think they, honestly, have the best pricing around and will get a cost once we get the totals of what worked out then use that to haggle with the rest of the shops.
-----------------------------

Todd,

Absolutely. When you got those grains at those prices, it must have been a 25% sale. So if you order 15 or more sacks of grain, I can give you the 25% off on them.

Let me know when your group knows exactly what they want and the quantities and I'll work up the pricing for you.

Cheers!

Matt Pruszynski
LP
-----------------------------
todd, 03 Jun 2014 13:44

I got the info on brew clubs discount but we are looking at buying at the min right now in a bulk order of (16) sacks of grain. A while back I purchased 3 sacks grain from you guys for:
1 x Avangard Malz Wheat Malt 55 lb (1866C) $40.49
1 x Briess Pale Malt 2 Row 50 lb (1928C) $37.75
1 x Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen Malt 55 lb (1850C) $37.49

I know that's a super good deal but wondering if we get up in the range of 20ish sacks total if we can get pricing close to that? They group is mostly looking at Maris Otter and 2-row to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back