sanitizing bucket-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
I am going for batch number 2, setting up everything- I was just wondering if it's ok to put my sanitize in a non-food safe bucket, like the ones your get from HD? A clean one of course.
Or do I need to get another food grade bucket?

Thanks in advance!

Whatever bucket is fine. I put mine in whatever I have lying around. I've been using a hot pink kids beach bucket lately. You're not drinking the StarSan, right?

LOL... ok just wanted to make sure-paranoia will destroy yer..but still a new guy at this;)

Seems to me home depot & lowes carry food grade buckets in that milky colored plastic. I use 1 gallon SunnyD jugs to store my PBW & Starsan in. But a orange home depot 5G one for soaking large numbers of bottles or storing bags of uncrushed grain in is ok. My Barley Crusher grain mill also fits that orange bucket perfectly for crushing grains.

I went by WalMart, many moons ago, and talked to their baking department looking for 6.5 gallon buckets. They only had 5 but they worked perfect for starsan. I think they were $2.50 or so.

I just picked up two blue buckets at Lowe's (<$3 per) that were food grade HDPE. Check the bottom of the buckets. They may be food grade and you don't know it.

HEllo fellow LI'ger

How would I know? what am i looking for on bottom?
Thanks

They should say "Food Safe", "Food Grade" or have the cup & fork symbol, in addition to the plastic code (the number in the triangle). That said, if it's just sanitizer you should be fine with a non-marked bucket.

Where on LI are you?

Back