IPA Help with hop addition timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elixir

Reaction score
I am entering an IPA into a local competition, I ordered all my ingredients I want to use but I haven't figured out the timing im going to add the hops during the boil..

15 # 2 Row
1 # Crystal 40
1/2 # Carafoam
1/2 # Melanoidin

Hops I have on hand that I just ordered

2 oz Citra (whole leaf)
2 oz Simcoe
3 oz Rakau
1 oz Pacifica
2 oz El Dorado
1/2 oz Cascade (whole leaf)

Fermenting with 2 Packets US-05

I know this could make an awesome IPA, but I just need to know what order these should go in to make it the best. Probably going to reserve the whole leaf citra & cascade for dry hopping.

elixir said:
I am entering an IPA into a local competition, I ordered all my ingredients I want to use but I haven't figured out the timing im going to add the hops during the boil..

15 # 2 Row
1 # Crystal 40
1/2 # Carafoam
1/2 # Melanoidin

Hops I have on hand that I just ordered

2 oz Citra (whole leaf)
2 oz Simcoe
3 oz Rakau
1 oz Pacifica
2 oz El Dorado
1/2 oz Cascade (whole leaf)

Fermenting with 2 Packets US-05

I know this could make an awesome IPA, but I just need to know what order these should go in to make it the best. Probably going to reserve the whole leaf citra & cascade for dry hopping.

I would think to maybe use the simcoe for your bittering and first flavor hop addition. They can impart a smooth bitterness and have a higher alpha content which depending on your planned ibus you can get the most bang for your buck.

Other than the citra of course but you said you planned on using those for dry hopping. I think the others would blend very well together as your later and flshout (if you plan on any) hop additions since they all mostly contribute similar flavors and aromas and i think would blend well together keeping everything cohesive and not givin you too much of a mish mosh of flavors going on which i definitely prefer. The cascade addition would go well with the citra for a nice combo as well as ive made an APA with these two together and the aroma i got from the dry hop was nice.

If it were me i would try and get most of your ibus from the simcoe. Using a 45 or 60 minute addition and use the other oz as your first flavor hop at around 20. Smoother IPAs come from a large amount of late hop additions so i would maybe adding the other hops at around 10 minutes and continually add and choose how youd like to add them.

Just a few ideas, see how they fit in with your original plan and use some or none of the ideas. Hope it turns out great and i see alot of potential in this one. Let us know how it comes out!

Cheers.

I would use Simcoe at 60 and I LOVE Citra at 15. That amount of Cascade probably wont make much difference wherever you put it.

What's the boil size / batch size? What's your projected OG? Are you able to do 90 minute boils? This will help us determine a good hop schedule for you. But I too would recommend using the Simcoe for early 90 minute bittering. It's the highest alpha acid % and the lone man out when compared to the other hops listed here. The other additions really depend on what character you desire from this beer. Remember, the dryhop will dominate the character of your beer. A combo of Citra & Rakau & Cascade would probably be awesome for the dryhop. I'd use the rest of your Simcoe and Pacifica at 30-15 min. & all of the El Dorado at whirlpool with an ounce of Rakau.

2 oz Citra (lychee fruit, mango, mild grapefruit)
2 oz Simcoe (fresh pine, tropical fruit, musky grapefruit)
3 oz Rakau (passionfruit, peach)
1 oz Pacifica (orange marmalade, floral)
2 oz El Dorado (watermelon candy)
1/2 oz Cascade (one note grapefruit)

With US-05 and a presumably high OG, I would consider implementing 5-6% sugar in the grist by taking those percentage points away from the C40 and 2-row. This will help with attenuation, giving you a drier, crisper IIPA.

Roughly 1.080 / 1.014 for a 5.5 gallon batch:

85% 2-row
6% corn sugar
3% c-40
3% melanoidin
3% carafoam

I appreciate all the advice, bobbrews, I am probably going to do what you say and use that. I hope I win the competition. I like the piney/resiny ipa's but I really like the tropical fruit kinds. I also am obsessed with uncommon hop varieties. Only problem is I have to order most of them offline :-(. I am a relatively new homebrewer. What makes a 90 min boil better?

SO my bill will look like this: 5 Gal batch

1 oz simcoe 60 mins
2 oz el dorado 20 mins
1 oz rakau 20 mins
1 oz pacifica 15 mins
1 oz simcoe 10 mins
1 oz rakau flame out

Dry hop 2 oz citra
1 oz rakau
1/2 oz cascade

90 minute boils give you increased maillard reactions which adds complexity to the malt character. That way, you'll have a lot of bitterness and character from the hops, but enough malt complexity to stand up to the hops despite using a very basic/clean IPA grist. It also gives you a better hot break. Tossing the hops in at 60 minutes will reduce polyphenol/protein interaction and give you a smooth beer with firm bitterness. I like your hop schedule, but I would really advise using that El Dorado late. It's quite rare and the flavor is in a league of its own. Pacifica is the sacrificial hop of the bunch. Use that around 30-20 instead.

You appreciate his but not mine?! Fine! I hope your beer turns out sucky!
:drunk: haha. Sounds like good sound advice to me. Good luck on the brew. Just dont feel disappointed not winning a competition so early into your brewing career. Good luck.

Your help was greatly appreciated too dave, I am grateful for all the help!

elixir said:
Your help was greatly appreciated too dave, I am grateful for all the help!

Haha i was jokin! Good to hear we could help thats what this forum is for :mug: entering brews into competitions seems to be a great way just to get honest feedback on your beers. So definitely let us know what the judges had to say and good luck. Cheers

I won first place in the competition!! Thanks for all your help guys!

That's awesome! Congratulations man. Glad we could help with the small suggestions. Awesome job and way to put in the hardwork. Any trophy or ribbon? Post a pic!

Didnt win a trophy or ribbon but a batch of my beer will be brewed at the brewery under my name and i will get a percentage of whats sold. He wants to make a little over a 3 bbl batch but the problem is that the hops are difficult to find, so might have to settle on a 1/2bbl batch..

Here is my beer in the fort myers brewery snifter(this was this breweries competition)

ForumRunner_20130701_175252.jpg

Even better! Some $$$ to help you make more beer is always better than a ribbon to look at while you drink beer. At least I think so anyway. Maybe you should try emailing one of the bigger hop producing companies and explain the situation. They might be able to help you out.. Or they won't. But it wouldn't hurt to try. It would be awesome to see your brew on a shelf in a bottle shop. Especially so soon into your home brewing career. A little legwork could make the difference.

Latest posts

Back