my new set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_osbourn

Reaction score
My new biab set up
ForumRunner_20130307_160543.png

Forgive my ignorance but if u have that stuff why not pick up another keggle for $35 and convert it to a mash tun for $20 and do a real all grain with a proper sparge?? Again forgive me if I missed something but u have a 15.5 gal keggle, mash paddle and burner, why are you still doing biab?

Unless this is a joke with a trash bag in which case..... ha ha ha ha...

Forgive my ignorance but if u have that stuff why not pick up another keggle for $35 and convert it to a mash tun for $20 and do a real all grain with a proper sparge?? Again forgive me if I missed something but u have a 15.5 gal keggle, mash paddle and burner, why are you still doing biab?

Unless this is a joke with a trash bag in which case..... ha ha ha ha...

Explain how BIAB isn't real all grain.

There's no need to "upgrade" to anything.

I didn't read any arrogance in the post, but rather a member who seemed to go out of his way to be polite in asking a question. There's no need for any of us to turn up the hostility volume.

There are many reasons someone might choose BIAB in addition to equipment. For example, the process can be significantly streamlined and shortened, especially if you don't sparge.

OP, congrats on the setup! Love the mash paddle!

I just think if you already have a keggle, why not get another one and convert to a mash tun so you can properly sparge.

Nothing against biab, but a mash tun makes life so much easier. I mean you just walk away for an hr then come back. And same with fly sparging, walk away for an hr and come back. Imo a lot less work then biab and u can have a proper sparge.

Yeah, I'm not sure what a "proper sparge" is...

Batch Sparge?
Fly Sparge?
No Sparge?

With BIAB you can do either of the last two, easily. When I tried BIAB I didn't find myself babysitting the mash either. I might have had to turn the heat on once or twice for a few moments. The nice thing is not having to use any hoses and there is less cleaning involved too.

I just think if you already have a keggle, why not get another one and convert to a mash tun so you can properly sparge.

Nothing against biab, but a mash tun makes life so much easier. I mean you just walk away for an hr then come back. And same with fly sparging, walk away for an hr and come back. Imo a lot less work then biab and u can have a proper sparge.

First of all, I wasn't trying to be hostile.

Secondly, seriously... less work? Have you ever tried BIAB? It's the easiest and simplest thing ever. The only thing that sucks with BIAB, is lifting a hot bag of grains and squeeze. But like with most things, you can even make that easier.

I have a mash tun, and a electric HERMS brewery. But Stovepot BIAB beats both of them.

Granted, this particular HERMS brewery isn't exactly the best one... but still.

Okay lets not ruin the op thread. Seriously, I just had a question, if someone already has a keggle and burner just wondering why biab. No need to get all crazy and hate me. I had a question.

And to the op im sorry if it came out thay way.

Biab is all grain if your using all grain. I just meant you can sparge easier and more efficiently with a mash tun. Plus stirring 18lbs of grain or more in a bag is way more of a pain then a tun.

I have done biab but I should have stated that what I said was my opinion, not the right or wrong answer. And IMO a mash tun is easier but does take more time but makes for better beer and higher efficiency. And thats my opinion so no one can tell me im wrong.

You seem to have nice gear thats why I was just wondering....

Hey do what works for you and I like the mash paddle.

Um, how does it make life easier? I mash in my 15 gal blichman letting sit for an hour, pick my bag up, drain and squeeze for maybe 10 mins, start the boil, cool the wort, drain to fermenter and clean, get this now, 1 pot. I'm done probably an hour to 1.5 hours than you are with your mash tun, and kettle and I'll bet my beer is every bit as good if not better than yours

And IMO a mash tun is easier but does take more time but makes for better beer and higher efficiency. And thats my opinion so no one can tell me im wrong.

Yes I can tell you you are wrong. I have milled my grain to flour and gotten 90% eff before. There are all sorts of reasons not to do that, I did it to prove to someone it could be done, but how many times have you hit 90%? I'll stick with my constant 75%

Yes I can tell you you are wrong. I have milled my grain to flour and gotten 90% eff before. There are all sorts of reasons not to do that, I did it to prove to someone it could be done, but how many times have you hit 90%? I'll stick with my constant 75%

Wow ok so I cant have my own opinion and ask questions on a forum??

I tweeked my system and get about 86% without even coming close to flower or a stuck sparge. I dont get why you are coming at me like this instead of asking me why I think the way I do. Maybe if you did that you could teach me a thing or two..... Maybe you could help someone instead of making them feel bad and tell them that their opinion is wrong.

Again forgive me if im wrong bc im still learning ok? If you had your dream setup, what would it be and why? From what ive learned from this site and correct me if im wrong but would you fly sparge, batch sparge, no sparge and would your dream setup be a biab or,,,,, idk what to call a non biab setup. I called it a real and proper all grain brew, and got ripped apart so what would you choose. Bc what I learned is if you can fly sparge and brew without a bag do it.

I mean like I said I am still learning but I would not tell you your opinion is wrong, thats arrogance.

And I never said anything about taste. Better beer to me means less wasted grain, which means less money your throwing away. Read what I said b4 you quote me and ASSume what I meant.

Have a beer bro we all here to learn and help others. I had a legitimate question to the op to help me understand things.

Instead im told that my opinion of fly sparging a traditional mash tun is wrong......

If your telling me that I should ditch my tun and start to biab and not fly sparge, I would like some more opinions....

It looks good. Enjoy it and the keggle! Are you doing 10gal batches with that? Im picking up 2 keggles soon so I can kick up my brewing to 10gal batches.

Cheers.

I'd use a trolley on an I beam:
img_1378-58987.jpg

And a close up of the trolley:
img_1379-58985.jpg

Isn't it nice to have I-beams in the garage???

Nice looking setup! I have no idea why some people have to make such negative comments on BIAB brewing

1. all grain is all grain whether you're using a mash tun or BIAB
2. Plenty of BIAB brewers get 80% plus efficiency without a mash tun
3. Yes, everyone is welcome to their own opinions, however, trashing one brewing method over another is a complete waste of time, Homebrewing is Homebrewing.
4. Yes, I brew BIAB, as a matter of fact I just upgraded to electric BIAB

Lastly, RDWHAHB!!!

Back