Transferring Belgian Tripel to Secondary Possible Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus00

Reaction score
I started this fine weekend transferring my Belgian Tripel to the secondary, so I can free up primary for another brew day I plan on doing next week. While transferring I left the Star San foam in the carboy, and I am guessing since the foam/bubbles float on top of the beer it does not bind and oxidize the beer. However, while siphoning I wasn't paying attention and my siphon sucked up some air (maybe an inch or two in the siphon) and before I could do anything it went through siphon and into the carboy. Then it happened again when i got down to the trub, but it was even less air than the first time. With my first beer comes growing pains, and obviously i see why a lot of people don't bother with a secondary but I didn't want to tie up my primary for the next month or so while my 5g carboy just sits there.

Questions are:

1. The star san foam won't oxidize my beer if i don't wait for the foam to dry before transferring to my secondary

2. Will the air sucked in the siphon definitely oxidize my beer? Is it a crap shoot? or is it too little of an amount to have a great impact on my beer?

Side Note: First 3 weeks of fermenting seemed to go pretty good. Fermented for first week around 68-70, ambient around 62, second week was in a swamp cooler with an aquarium heater around 68, and finally this week i ran into some problems with the aquarium heater so it was 68 most of the week but up around 70-72 the past 2 days. Probably do another 3 weeks plus in the carboy. I have not taken any FG readings, should I do this now?

Carboy Full Length Belgian Tripel.jpg

Belgian Tripel Top View Carboy.jpg

Belgian Tripel Inside Carboy.jpg

That little bit of air isn't going to oxidize anything, and the starsan won't hurt anything. Leave it alone and it'll be fine.

Back