born on date?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasteeler

Reaction score
Hi all. Just a quick question.
I live in NW Iowa (code for BFE), and have a limited selection of craft beer. I've worked in several different industries and know about date coding. I was wondering if anyone knew how to decipher how old a craft brew was?
I've heard about Moose Drool before and how good it was, and picked a six pack of it before and wasn't impressed. I try buy a different six every time I make it to the store, but picked up another six of Moose Drool and it was amazing. I don't know if the first was old and this was fresher, but it definitely is on the top of the list.
I try and support the few local breweries here in Iowa (Olde Main from Ames, Millstream from Amana) and have been buying a lot more here while building my electric brewery, but this just got me thinking of what I could be missing with stale beer here, if that is the problem. Thanks again.

Hi all. Just a quick question.
I live in NW Iowa (code for BFE), and have a limited selection of craft beer. I've worked in several different industries and know about date coding. I was wondering if anyone knew how to decipher how old a craft brew was?
I've heard about Moose Drool before and how good it was, and picked a six pack of it before and wasn't impressed. I try buy a different six every time I make it to the store, but picked up another six of Moose Drool and it was amazing. I don't know if the first was old and this was fresher, but it definitely is on the top of the list.
I try and support the few local breweries here in Iowa (Olde Main from Ames, Millstream from Amana) and have been buying a lot more here while building my electric brewery, but this just got me thinking of what I could be missing with stale beer here, if that is the problem. Thanks again.
As a fellow NW Iowan (Sac City/Storm Lake), I have to ask, where are you buying your beer? The local Hy-Vee has what I would consider a fairly impressive beer selection.

I'd have to look, but a recent issue of one of the brew magazines I picked up had a sidebar about decoding the dates on the bottles. I'll see if I can find that again tonight.

Good to see a fellow Iowan here DKWolf. I'm from Fort Dodge, not too far away, and shop at the Hy-Vee Liquor Store too. Yes, they have a good selection of craft beer, and like I said before, trying a different kind each time. I haven't really looked into trying to deciphering their code, but will try that. I know Budweiser does it (although I haven't bought any in years), and liked a brewery from St. Louis called Schlafly with "Bottled with Love on " on the label, but that Moose Drool really got me thinking.

Back