starsan and beerline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb1677

Reaction score
I left a few feet each of various hoses in a bucket of starsan after cleanup on Sunday. When I retrieved them Tuesday I did not notice anything wrong and just left them on a rack to dry. A day later I went to put them away and discovered they are sticky or gummy as if the starsan (diluted 1oz to 5G) was starting to break them down. it does not rinse off, it's like they changed state to some softer gummy material on the outside and I can only assume on the inside as well. My thief and auto siphon were left in the same bucket and seem fine.

is this expected ? I feel like a tool, these are all new hoses that were replaced after leaving the last batch in PBW and ruining them

Hmm, I hope there's no issue with this. I have a picnic tap I use for sampling from my corny keg fermenters (plumbed with 3/16" Bevlex), and I typically just flush it with star-san, leaving it filled that way when done. Hopefully its not getting eaten away from the inside without my knowing.

This stuff is not slimy, its actually gummy/sticky - like i can touch it with my finger and lift it off the table sticky..... its weird. I had miltiple lines in the bucket: one thin walled siphon host, one thick walled beer line and one gas line. The siphon hose seems to have been affected the most.

I just replaced a beer line today for the same reason. I put it in a bucket of Star San and forgot about it for a week. The line came out exactly as you described. I decided to replace it rather than risk it.

Hope it's to do with the tubes and not the starsan i know it's pretty powerful stuff but FSA cleaners + FSA pipes should play well together. What's your tubing made from?

I know if I leave any clear tubing soaking in starsan for an extended period it turns cloudy too. And I do mix the starsan in the recommended ratio with my tap water.

Back