white cloudy substance in my mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its filmy. There was a little bit of white foam on the top the day before. The smell seems good. Taste was ok.

My guess was that it was some residual yeast. There was a little on the bottom. I racked it again and so far I'm not seeing any more of it.

Its filmy. There was a little bit of white foam on the top the day before. The smell seems good. Taste was ok.

"filmy" sounds bad. Is it topped up to within an inch of the top? I wonder if some oxygen was able to get to your mead and allow some lacto or other infection to form.

I'd rack immediately, using 1 campden (crushed and dissolved) per gallon, and make sure it's topped up properly and hope for the best.

I'm thinking that it wasn't done fermenting when I racked it to the secondary. A day after I racked it it took off again and produced some foam on the top. a day later there was the cloudyness but no foam. I racked it again and haven't noticed any more cloudyness.

Had this mead about 2 month one day I got up and there was this white film on top of the mead

20161101_143536.jpg

20161101_145207.jpg

Back