Woodford Reserve Tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
So, I have a week off between training events and my father in law and myself were hanging out in Lexington wondering what to do... SO, we decided to take a tour of the Woodford Reserve bourbon distillery. Did yall know that only 9 distillers make the worlds bourbon? Did you know that they are are all within 100 miles of Lexington, KY? It was an awesome tour, a great operation, very basic and traditional. Cypress fermentors, open fermentors at that... the smell in the aging building was INCREDIBLE! Elija the company cat was there to entertain my daughter too... if you are in the Lexington area, check out the bourbon trail....

Pol

Tripple distilled and they aim for 7.4 years of aging. Their aging building will hold 5,000 barrels. The open fermentors smelled SOOOOO GOOOD! Farmers come here and pick up the mash afterward to feed thier cattle, it is such a cool operation.

Yeah, I went through a week of ground last week, my oral is in a week, then I have my 6 sim sessions out in STL to finish up. Just in time to be doing IOE over Thanksgiving... Good news is that I will get some time to bottle up my last 2 brews once I get back to Fort Wayne, down here in bourbon country for a week or so...

I used to live in Lexington. I love the Woodford Reserve Tour because of the drive through the horse country to get there. Personally, I think the tour at Buffalo Trace is a better, more informative tour. You are right though, the smells around the place are just incredible.

The Pol said:
Yeah, I went through a week of ground last week, my oral is in a week, then I have my 6 sim sessions out in STL to finish up. Just in time to be doing IOE over Thanksgiving... Good news is that I will get some time to bottle up my last 2 brews once I get back to Fort Wayne, down here in bourbon country for a week or so...

congrats man and good luck on the rest, hit me with a pm with what cert and airframe you got.

I will probably be back to tour some of the other brewers, it helped that I already understood the fermenting process etc... if I had no knowlege, Id have been lost. The smells in the fermenting building and the storage building were UNREAL, Id sit in there and huff it all day long!

you guys work for chq, huh? Do you live in Lex? I'm trying to figure out who works here and also brews. I can only think of one person and he has already upgraded. Good luck in training.

Charlie

I don't know who CHQ is, but I would recommend the Makers Mark tour as well. nice country and good information on the tour. L&G would be my second choice.

Next time you are around there Shaker Village is a nice day trip too, not much to do in relation to alcohol, but interesting all the same!

Jim B. in Louisville

Naw, I have been with Shuttle for about 4 years, I live in Indianapolis where I am based... just visiting family in Lexington this week.

Back