Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alds15

Reaction score
Hey guys, just brewed my second home brew and am looking into kegging over bottling. I got a few questions. I live in an apartment where space is the limitation factor. Looking to get a kegerator for the 5 gallon kegs.

1. Is there any problem buying used kegs or is it much better to go new?
2. Are there space conscious kegerators that can hold two 5 gal kegs?
3. Can a single co2 tank provide for two 5 gal kegs simultaneously?
4. Would you build your own or buy it made? Pros and cons?

Thanks

-Aldo
Its crazy how you start and then get hooked.

1. No, unless you need your stuff to be all brand new. I'd say most kegs sold are used by a wide margin. New kegs are freaking expensive.

2. Not sure, you may be able to mod certain mini-fridges to take two kegs. The CO2 bottle would probably have to be outside though. Most get a smallish chest freezer- that can usually take 3 plus a CO2 bottle. Don't buy a ready-made kegerator unless you enjoy overspending by hundreds of dollars on things you could make in an afternoon.

3. Yes! You just need a manifold, which are inexpensive, and you can make yourself depending on your access to tools. The two tanks will have to be at the same pressure if you're running them off of the same regulator, though, so you can't have two beers at different carb/serving levels.

4. Build it. See #2.

1. No, unless you need your stuff to be all brand new. I'd say most kegs sold are used by a wide margin. New kegs are freaking expensive.

2. Not sure, you may be able to mod certain mini-fridges to take two kegs. The CO2 bottle would probably have to be outside though. Most get a smallish chest freezer- that can usually take 3 plus a CO2 bottle. Don't buy a ready-made kegerator unless you enjoy overspending by hundreds of dollars on things you could make in an afternoon.

3. Yes! You just need a manifold, which are inexpensive, and you can make yourself depending on your access to tools. The two tanks will have to be at the same pressure if you're running them off of the same regulator, though, so you can't have two beers at different carb/serving levels.

4. Build it. See #2.

I'd add to this, but daskin did too much of a good job. :mug:

Hey guys, just brewed my second home brew and am looking into kegging over bottling. I got a few questions. I live in an apartment where space is the limitation factor. Looking to get a kegerator for the 5 gallon kegs.

The refurbished kegs that are sold by any of the reputable vendors here work great. Some people like new but I don't think it makes that big a difference.
If you do a quick search you'll find that there is a "show us your kegerator" thread somewhere on here. In that thread you will see that many people convert mini fridges into kegerators that are perfect for 2 corny kegs (5 gallon kegs).
Short answer... Yes. There's a longer answer about what the best way is to do this (splitters vs additional regulators, etc...). Again if you find that "show us your kegerator" thread you will see different ways of doing it.
I built my own. I like the idea of being able to customize it however I see fit and I know the quality of each and every piece.
Thanks

-Aldo

Welcome to the obsession!

EDIT: Looks like daksin beat me to it... Here's a link to the Show us your kegerator thread though:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/

Thanks

-Aldo

1. Used kegs are fine. It's not a bad idea to replace the seals but before you spend the money on those seals just give it a pressure check. If it holds pressure you're good to go.

2. You can find small kegerators that will hold two corny kegs. Check Beverage Factory, or just do an online search for a kegerator.

3. A single Co2 tank can easily handle two kegs. You'll just need a splitter.

4. I would build my own because even if you buy a new frige and Co2 tank, faucets, lines, fittings it is cheaper than buying a brand new kegerator and you can set it up for as many taps as the frige will hold kegs. Occasionally there will be a good deal on Craigslist for a kegerator.

Back