uneven priming sugar distribution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul7

Reaction score
while siphoning to my bottling bucket last night, i forgot to add the boiled priming sugar solution until the bucket was about 3/4 full, i then added the solution and gently stirred it in(with a long sanitized brewers spoon) for 5 mins.

will my beer have an uneven priming sugar distribution or do you think it probly mixed well?

if it is uneven, will it be enough to have a few exploding bottles?

When homebrewing, try to realize that the process, equipment and the brew is a lot more resilient than you know.

RDWHAHB

I forgot to mix the priming sugar and my beer in the bottling bucket. This may be my first experience with bottle bombs. Hope not. We'll see.

I forgot to mix the priming sugar and my beer in the bottling bucket. This may be my first experience with bottle bombs. Hope not. We'll see.

Did you add the hot priming solution to the bottom of the bucket before siphoning the beer in? If so (especially if you got a swirl going in your bucket while you siphoned), you'll probably be just fine.

if your worried about it store them in a large tupperware or something to keep the mess to a minimum if it does happen

If you stirred for 5 minutes your stirred at least 4.5 minutes longer than you needed to. Definitely don't worry. It desn't matter when you add the priming sugar, it's just easier to pour it in the bucket and siphon on top of it. In fact, since it is denser than the beer it probably makes sense to add at the middle of the siphon.

I mostly keg, but when I bottle I have always primed each bottle and have never had a problem with under carb. It's a little more work, but insures equal carbination. I also always use table sugar. I also use a charge flask for a black powder rifle, it's adjustable and very easy to use with no mess.

thanks for the helpful input everyone, this helps to put my mind at ease

i think with every batch there is some sort of variable that makes me worry a bit, but i guess its better to be cautious than careless. thanks again yall

Back