First time All-grain brew nightmare aka "kick in the nuts brown ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha1964

Reaction score
My first all-grain experience was a nightmare ! It started out great, mashed in and hit my temp perfect. Started to recirulate, everything still good. The Lauter is when things went bad. Stuck manifold, I blew on hose and stired mash it start to flow again only to stop 2 sec later, stirred harder and busted the manifold. Everything flowed into brew pot ,grain, wort and all. I got a strainer and strained the wort of grain. Put hose back into the cooler and went outside to start boil. Whew !!! not too bad. Went back into kitchen to find that the hose flipped out of cooler and leaked a huge puddle of wort onto kitchen floor. For those who don't know the pleasures of mopping up wort off the floor think watery maple syrup. You mop and mop and your feet still stick to the floor.
Got the wort boiled and cooled it , grabbed yeast pack to find it did not activate. Looked at date, it was 6 month old. The next morning went to brew store got new yeast and hoped it will turn out ok.

Back