Grain in Bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resto3

Reaction score
Where is everyone getting their grain in bulk from? What are the best prices out there? Shipping??

My LHBS has Rahr 2-row for $45/50lbs and local malt for $60/50lbs. Buying online, I'd think shipping would kill your savings. Do you have a brew store anywhere nearby?

I live in south Chicago, so am close to the warehouse of a malt distributor (Mid-Country) and pick up bags there. As Nateo said, you can also buy bulk malts at many local homebrew stores. You might also check out a nearby brewery - if they would be willing to sell you some grains. I think a key to buying grains in bulk is figuring out how to avoid paying directly for shipping, which is going to depend upon your location.

Thanks for the replies. I don't live next to a LHBS. Not one that give that good a deal for buying in bulk. The search continues I guess.

Thanks again.

When the Michigan Mashers do our twice yearly bulk buys, we go through mid country as well. We usually end up with a pallet's worth (though sometimes 2) and our price come to around 25-ish for a 55 pound sack plus shipping.

Here is the price we've been getting. Plus we split whatever the shipping is, which last time was 90.00 a pallet.

All bags of grain are 55.125 lb so our final price is based on that rate.

GRAIN PRICES:
2-Row (Canada Malting, Canada) - $0.45/lb
Pilsen (Canada Malting, Canada) - $0.46/lb
Pilsen (Best Malz, Germany) - $0.53/lb
Pilsen (Frano-Belges, France) - $0.58/lb
Pilsner (Bairds, United Kingdom) - $0.59/lb
Maris Otter (Bairds, United Kingdom) - $0.70/lb
Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett, United Kingdom) - $0.71/lb
Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett, United Kingdom) - $0.71/lb
Light Munich (Best Malz, Germany) - $0.53/lb
Light Munich (Franco-Belges, France) - $0.59/lb
Wheat (Canada Malting, Canada) - $0.49/lb
Pale Wheat (Best Malz, Germany) - $0.56/lb

But again we are buying at least one pallet's worth, which is 42 bags. That's been our minimum, we've gotten a little better break when we gone to a larger buy.

Back