Bottling for Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
My first competition is coming up in about 3 weeks. I will be bottling an APA and a Porter, using a BM "beer gun".

I have used this in the past, and tried bottles that were several months old with good retention.

Anyone with experience, can I bottle this now for a 8/16 judging. Local, so I don't have to ship. Or am I better off waiting ?

Why not wait, you ask? Well, I need the keg of course :)

I see no reason not to do it now. I've had brews in bottles 6 months + sent to comps and still placed in the top 3.

Do it...do it now!

I always fill a couple of bottles first, before filling the competition bottle, so that I know my pressure is right, and I am spot on.

I had a Dunkel win 1st at a small competition filled with BMBG

I now fill a competition bottle on kegging day, and add a coopers carbonation drop and let it naturally carb for competitions. Less chance of me screwing up on filling a bottle with precarbed beer.

Good. I'll leave work now. Gotta get them kegs filled up again ! Gotta start brewing the Independence Ale ! It is 94 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 29 seconds until my freedom from purgatory and release of alimony obligations ! WOOOOOOHOOOO

Good luck! Unless they collapse the APA and IPA categories, I won't be directly competing against you (with beer made with the Bell's yeast you gave me ;)).

Man, I came sooooo close to entering the IPA. That would have been crushing....for you LOL :mug:

We'll have to do some swap action on those two. Right now, it is the only thing I have on tap that I can drink. I have an Orange Cascade going on gas tonight !

Back