hop usage/presence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csuho

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with my hops here lately on anything that I brew that is hop centered it doesn't turn out that way.

As in I had brewed an imperial ipa with 8oz of centennial and around 9% abv and there is little to no hop aroma or bitterness to it. Also I have brewed an india brown ale (mike mcdole's recipe) with 6oz of cascade in it and there isn't much hop aroma at all and very little bitterness and their is a little hop presence in the end of the bottle, but the chocolate malt dominates it all. I used .5# for a 5.5 gallon batch. Any thoughts/comments/concerns and or help would be great. I can brew a batch that isn't hop centered and it comes out ok.

What Bobby said + a very off water profile that is not allowing for proper extraction.

Soft water could contribute. Perhaps adding gypsum to the boil for the sulfates will help in the future.

Are you using hop bags? If so, you need to be sure that there is good flow of wort around the hops for best extraction.

How are the hops being stored? They should be kept frozen, but even so, alpha acids will degrade over time. Oxygen exposure will also have a negative effect.

it might be water issues. its not boil issues i had a hard rolling boil for the ipa. the centennials for that were 2007 crop whole leaf and i dont know how they were stored be4 i got them but i stored them in my kreezer since thats the only space i have.

but i did use the hop tool in beersmith to recalculated the ibu's since they were older hops. i will swing by the water company here and get a detailed report.

but a few club member tried the india brown and said it was spot on. he brewed it also.

I just got my more indepth water report and

Mg is 0.03 ppm
Fe is 0.2 ppm
calcium is 250ppm
the ph avg is 7.3
tds is 250 ppm
Na is 4ppm

he didn't have any other minerals that I was wondering about from a page from Ray Daniels.

any ideas from the minerals there as to maybe y I am getting no hop aroma or taste so to speak.

here is the hop schedule from the IIPA

4oz centennial 60min 5% (they are 07 crop and i used the hop age tool in beersmith to get 5% they were orginally 10.1% I think maybe 10.3%)
1oz centennial 30min 6.2%(again 07 crop)
.5oz centennial 15min 5% (again 07 crop)
.5oz amariallo 15min 8% (07 crop)
.5oz centennial 10min 5% (07 crop)
.5oz amariallo 10min 8% (07 crop)
.5oz centennial 5min 5% 07 crop)
.5oz amariallo 5min 8% (07 crop)
dry hopped with
.5oz centennial 5% 7days
.5oz amariallo 8% 7 days

all hops where whole leaf and I boiled this hard.

total of 9oz of hops used and its nothing like a 60min ipa or 2 hearted.

Back