kegerator making a popping noise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
So my brother in law has a kegerator that was purchased from a kegerator website and now after about a year it makes a sort of popping noise that happens randomly. Does anyone know what this could be?

I have one that does the same thing, haven't been able to figure it out either.

Pretty much just random I'm not home during the day but my wife says she hears it sometimes.

A popping sound? It's new so probably not electrical popping. It's new so probably not the compressor acting up. Popping, popping? Hmm.. don't know. I wouldn't worry about it unless your electric bill starts spiking or you smell smoke around the kegerator area.

This might be one of the RDWHAHB stages. :mug:

It's not the pressue relief on the keg inside the kegerator is it? Your CO2 regulator didn't crap out or anything?
Just a thought.

Mine does it, too. Usually soon after the compressor runs. I'm thinking it's the metal plate contracting or something like that. Sounds like something is bonking around in there. I'm gonna check it out someday. :eek:

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Mine started about a month ago and the fridge is about 3 years old. Looking forward to reading more posts.

I'm hoping to revive this thread because mine is driving me crazy. Wondering if anyone has figured it out or found a fix. I notice it more when I lower the temp. The colder the fridge, the more popping I hear. It does seem to happen not once, but twice after compressor cycles. The second pop is always much louder.

It is an Avanti kegerator with plate located along the back wall. I purchased it used on craigslist so I don't have any info or even know how old it is.

Jeeze, there was a recent thread (last couple of months for sure) with the same syndrome (might have been an Avanti or a Haier or some random rebadged unit). Could swear the word from the manufacturer was "They all do that" but trying to find the thread just pulls up all the other similar "kegerator pop" threads (which never seem to resolve)...

Cheers!

I've replied that thread as well (it's regarding a kegco kegerator). https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/kegco-pop-425614/

There seems to be a few different opinions on that thread. I have a hard time believing my popping noise is coolant flowing through the lines. I've heard crackling before in our refrigerator and this is definitely different. I don't see any ice build up but suppose I could try defrosting it (unplug and thaw?) before my next keg.

The search continues.

I did see (somewhere outside HBT) that loosening the screws that secure the cold plate resolved the popping. Might be with a try...

Cheers!

Back