what yeast for pumpkin ale kit? wyeast private collection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdbrew

Reaction score
Hey,

Im brewing a pumpkin in a couple months to prepare for the fall! I got a partial extract kit and got the safale us-05. I really like the smell its making in my wheat ale at the moment.

I'm placing an order again though for some other odds and ends and these special wyeast seasonal strains look interesting. I'm still new to brewing, gonna bottle my 3rd partial extract soon, so I'm not to knowledgable on all the yeasts yet.

Any of you knowledgable folks think any of those wyeast strains would be an interesting pick? maybe Thames ii for the sweeter flavor?

I realize the safale's are good, but just curious what you guys thought.

thanks!

Pacman would be quite similar to your US-05.
Roeselare is for long aging of sour ales; you pitch it after the regular yeast. It might be nice to sour up a pumpkin ale, but would take a year or so.
Canadian-Belgian and you could leave out the pie spices.;)
Brett C would be... interesting. Without other bugs it could get phenolic.
Thames II sounds like a nice choice.

I've built my autumn ales with English style strains and I've been happy with the results. Sweeter beers that have a thicker mouthfeel and the malt accentuation really plays with the earthy pumpkin and spices.

yeh i do want to just kinda see how the recipe is without throwing in some crazy yeasts so i dont know. thanks.

stick with us-05 or WY1056, i personally wouldn't want a bunch of yeast flavors in a pumpkin beer.

Back