Another Pacman question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicXJ

Reaction score
So I keep hearing about how great Pacman is and how well it ferments. So I finally tired it. I brewed a Dead Guy ale clone, here is the recipe

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Pacman
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 at 60 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 at 60 degrees

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

I used a 1500ml starter and a little bit of Wyeast nutrient but still only managed to get down to 1.018 when I transfer to secondary. It fermented at 60-65 degrees. After transfering to secondary I put it upstairs where it's closer to 70 degrees for a few days. I checked it again today (about 4 days after transfering) and it's still at 1.018. I thought this yeast usually did better than this? I aerated with a pump like I always do plus it when through a strainer. My OG was 1.070

So should I leave it at 1.018? I washed some yeast from this batch so I could always repitch a little more Pacman and see what it does.

I also have some US-04 and US-05 sitting around for times like this.
I was really hoping to see something great with this yeast and I guess I am just a little disappointed.

Well, extract beers usually finish higher, it's not the yeast's fault, it's just the nature of the fermentable/unfermentable sugars in there.

Also, Dead Guy clones are SUPPOSED to finish high. I read the instructions on a Dead Guy Clone kit from my LHBS that is approved by Rogue, and they say not to worry if it finishes as high as 1.022, as this is what gives it that nice malty flavor.

1.070 - 1.018 is 74.2% Attenuation. That's pretty good although I do not know the range for Pacman. Did the recipe come with an expected FG?

ADF of Pacman as listed on Wyeast website is in the range of 72-78%. Yours is right at 73% so you can't expect it to do a whole lot more. What size starter did you use? It's possible the yeast were just too stressed by the hi gravity environment and pooped out just a little earlier than you expected.

Yooper,
It's funny that you answered... it's one of your threads that got me wondering why I stopped at 1.018.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/

This statement is what I read

Pacman yeast used- took the f.g. to 1.010!

The extract amounts for the 2 brews are simiilar. But I guess I should have noticed that yours was an all-grain batch where you got the FG to 1.010,

I'm still playing the "how good of an extract beer can I make" game. Getting down to 1.010 would have made my day.

Well, as far as getting the FG down low, it isn't exactly ideal for Dead Guy Ale. You don't want it to be dry.

Right! My AG batch was the one that overattenuated, not the extract batches! (That was due to a low mash temperature)

My extract batches were usually in the 1.018-1.020 range, sometimes 1.016. That's actually perfect for that beer.

I am also waiting on a similar dead guy/maibock to finish up, however I used 1338 Euro.
It is just chillin on the top... should I wait for it to sink, or will it even?
It's also down to 1.019, and thats after I repitched!

I just did a 1.063 IPA and used bottle harvested pacman. It finished high at 1.020. I fermented at ~60 for a week and then brought it up to ~68 for another week. It never moved after the first week so I just started to dry hop it. Not sure what happened here, I guess I could have underpitched...

Back