Store bought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
What's your favorite store bought brew?

My Favs: Not necessarily in order:

Sierra Nevada Celebration
Sierra Nevada Pale ale
Anything from Eel river.. Anything
Red Hook IPA
Guinness - mother's milk
Sam Adams Lager

There are more but I can't think of them now

In no particular order, and anyway it seems to change from time to time, so take it as my current list of favorites, which means what I've been buying in the past couple of months:

Fuller's ESB
Fuller's 1845
Guinness Extra Stout
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Young's Oatmeal Stout
Boddington's Pale Ale
Morland's Old Speckled Hen
Bass Pale Ale
Sam Adams Boston Ale
Sam Adams Black Lager
Full Sail Amber Ale
Full Sail Pale Ale
Breckenridge Brewery Amber Ale
Breckenridge Brewery Pale Ale
Breckenridge Brewery Oatmeal Stout

Edited to add:

Abita Turbo Dog
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Rogue Shakespeare Stout

I can't say I have a favorite "list" with the top being the best, but here's a photo of my recent "beer run"

4563-Lotso_micros_web.jpg

I'm really looking forward to some Sierra Nevada Celebration this fall/winter. The stuff I have was cheap at $6 six-pack but had been sitting for a while. Still good though!

If I run to the grocery store cuz I wanna get schnocker'd my primary choices are:

New Glarus IPA "Hop Hearty"
Lakefront PA "Cream City Pale Ale"

The Orval I'm sipping on now isn't what I thought it would be. Refresing, yes! Something I'd sip on while mowing the lawn...tasty and dry with a hint of lemon and a fruity aroma.

Ah yes, the Rogue beers I'd forgotten about. And Dead Guy Ale is good too. I should have put those on my list. Abita Turbo Dog is another one I like.

Exo, can you name those in order? I can't make out some of the labels, although I recognize many of them. I have to say I didn't really think much of the Dogfish Head India Brown Ale.

I like Shiner Hefeweizen, Rahr Red, New Belgium Skinny Dip and Fat Tire

Those are my hot weather favorites, at least. Once winter rolls around I'll be buying some 1554 and Rahr Ugly Pug.

I asked my wife to find me some Arrogant Bastard when she goes shopping (to the GOOD store) this afternoon. Hopefully she remembers!

I've got a Dead Guy Ale sitting in my fridge, I keep waiting for the right occassion to crack it open.

beer4breakfast said:
Exo, can you name those in order? I can't make out some of the labels, although I recognize many of them. I have to say I didn't really think much of the Dogfish Head India Brown Ale.

top row:
Sam Smith's Imperial Stout, Racer 5, Hop-Rod Rye, Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Brother David's Triple, some frambois.

bottom row:
Victory's Hop Devil, Tyranena's Bitter Woman, DFH World-Wide Stout, DFH 60, DFH120, Sprecher Barley Wine (2005), Lakefront ESB, Lakefront Oktoberfest, Rogue Dead Guy, Westmalle Trappist, Orval Trappist, Trappistes Rochefort and SN Celebration Ale (2005)

BIG ASS PICTURE from my 13MP camera:
http://www.pbase.com/exodeepblue/image/66362329/original

Pretty much anything from Samuel Smith's.
Rogue
Stone Brewery
Miller Lite :drunk:
SNPA & SN Wheat
Nimbus & 4 Peaks
and I have a pretty serious Newcastle addiction.

uhh...hehehe...some of my favs in no particular order (I work at a wine/beer shop part time :D )

• Westvleteren St. Sixtus
  • Stone 10th Anniversary IPA :ban:
  • Dogfish Head Punkin
  • Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin
  • Avery Czar Imperial Stout
  • Avery Mephistopheles
  • Avery Samael
  • Deus Brut
  • Gouden Carolus' Grand Cru of the Emperor
  • Gouden Carolus Easter
  • Gouden Carolus Noel
  • Unibroue Ephemere Cassis
  • Smuttynose IPA
  • Lancaster Hop Hog IPA
  • Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
  • Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout
  • Samichlaus
  • Eku 28
  • Aventinus
  • Aventinus Eisbock
  • Fantome Noel
  • Fantome Black
  • Victory Golden Monkey
  • Traquair House
  • De Dolle Extra Stout
  • Le Coq Extra Imperial Stout

I could go on, but I gots work to do...:drunk:

90% of my store-bought is at brew pubs for immediate consumption, but Deschutes is probably at the top of my list for bottled beers.

I've really been digging Bridgeport IPA here lately and to a lesser extent their ESB.

Also:
SNPA
Coopers Sparkling and Pale Ale
Anchor Liberty Ale
Ditto on anything Samuel Smith makes
Session (price and decent quality)
Abita Turbo Dog
Victory Hop Devil - not available in OK, but cloned and in the keg!
Full Sail Pale Ale
Breckenridge Pale Ale
Hop Otter

My short list consists of:

Lake Front ESB
Sprecher Special Amber
Sprecher Dopple Bock (when in season)
and most lately added Captial Brewery Oktoberfest (also when in season)

Most any German beer in a .5 liter bottle
DOS XX with a lime on a hot day after cutting the grass
St. Arnolds Hefe Weizen
Rogue Mocha Porter
Dog Fish IPA
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Fullers ESB
Smithwicks
Guinness (only in Ireland)
Murphey's Stout

Oh yeah, I do like a wee bit of these commerical libations too, when there's no beer of course.
Scotch_Collection.jpg

EdWort said:
St. Arnolds Hefe Weizen
Rogue Mocha Porter
Dog Fish IPA
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Fullers ESB
Smithwicks
Murphey's Stout

Oh yeah, I do like a wee bit of these commerical libations too, when there's no beer of course.
Scotch_Collection.jpg

Nice lineup of uisge beatha, EdWort! The Islay malts are my favorite, especially Laphroaig 10 year (I like the heavier dose of phenols, salt, and peat smoke that you get with the 10 year over the 15), and Lagavulin, which you don't seem to have there.

The Balvenie Doublewood is another of my favorites, as is Abelour in various forms.

I drink them too fast to ever manage to have so many around at one time. :drunk:

EdWort said:
St. Arnolds Hefe Weizen
Rogue Mocha Porter
Dog Fish IPA
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Fullers ESB
Smithwicks
Murphey's Stout

Scotch_Collection.jpg
If you're not going to drink that Glenlivet, can I have it?

I'm sorry to say, my Scotch Collection no longer looks like this. This was from the days when the dollar and euro were reversed. It's now cheaper to buy scotch locally than it is Duty Free when returning from Europe.

The Laphroaig is my favorite, but the Isle of Jura Superstition is a close second. Very smooth with a peaty finish.

Hmm, picked up a six of Paulaner O'fest last night. What a wonderful mellow brew. Wish it was year-round.

Ashamed to say I'd never bought Lakefront's Pumpkin Lager until last night as well. VERY ASHAMED. Should have tried it years and years ago, but didn't think I'd like it.

The cherry flavor was too strong in that one for me. I still drank it, not terrible, but I've been leaning away from fruit-flavored beers recently.

I've been drinking a lot of Oktoberfests lately, they seem to be SWMBO's faves. Nice and malty. Had Berkshire Brewing Co's tonight, Otter Creek earlier in the week (goddamn bottles were screwtop GODDAMIT). I'll have to grab some Oktoberfest recipes for a batch coming up, now that it'll be cool enough to lager.

Exo said:
Hmm, picked up a six of Paulaner O'fest last night. What a wonderful mellow brew. Wish it was year-round.

I picked up some Paulaner Premium Lager the other day. VERY Good!
I picked up some Paulaner Hefe-Weizen the other day. SUPER good!
I picked up some Paulaner Salvator Double Bock the other day. SUPER good!

I also got some of the Paulaner Oktoberfest. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Consistently?

Breckenridges' Vanilla Porter. :rockin:

Fuller's ESB and London Porter

Whatever's cheap.

I still stand in the beer aisle for half an hour plus just looking...

Then I go to the refigerated section. :D

Basically trying a little of this and that and a few other things. I haven't tried Chimay yet, but it's on the list. There was quite the discussion about it here at one time IIRC.

Ize

I think i'll go with (in no particular order):
SNPA
Stone IPA
Arrogant Bastard Ale
St. John's Pale Ale
Guiness
anything from Sam Adams
Magic Hat #9, Jinx, and Batch 357
anything from Flying Dog
Pete's Wicked
....and for when I'm looking to get tanked (i'm a college kid) Bud Light and Natty Light (just because they are easy to drink over 10 beers)

Real Ale Pale Ale
Real Ale Rye Ale
Sam Adam's Boston Ale
Shiner Boch

I love beer...this is fun. In no order:

Boddingtons
Old Speckled Hen
Sam Smiths Nut Brown Ale
Key West Golden Lager
Guinness Extra Stout
and Steel Reserve :drunk:

Back