Need help with a recipe for this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
So I picked up my bulk grains last night and I am looking to brew something this weekend. I have not picked up my hops yet but will be limited to what ever my LHBS has and right now I know thats no Amarillo or Simcoe. They do have cascade, fuggles, summit, and Im sure many others so I will be flying by the seat of my pants a bit on the hops. I have the following grains on hand:

2 row
Munich
Victory Malt
Crystal 20 and 60
CaraPils

I would like this to be around 5-6% something in the Pale Ale or APA family but I am open to variations, it doesn't have to fit strictly in a style guideline. I just don't know enough about the flavors of victory or Munich to know how much to use etc.

Also I want to say thanks to BeirMuncher for sharing his outstanding Oak aged Rye IPA, that was really a delicious beer. His Cream Ale was no slouch either. :)

Why not keep it simple? ESB! Put a Fuller's tap handle on it and see who can tell.

5.25 Gal; 75% Efficiency

Grist:
9 lbs 2-row
1 lb Crystal 60

Hops Schedule:
2 oz Fuggles @ 4%AA - 90
1 oz Fuggles @ 4%AA - 20
1 oz EKG - Dry hop or Flameout; I prefer dry-hop

OG: 1.052
IBU: 40

If you want to ramp it up a bit more, add some Demerara sugar at the end of the boil, no more than 10% of the fermentables. If you do add the sugar, you're brewing a scaled version of Fuller's grist!

Carbonate to no more than 2 volumes (more will mask the hops) and you're done!

Cheers,

Bob

P.S. Thanks for the inspiration! :mug:

You can make an APA

2 row
crystal 20, 60 (some of each or one or the other...just adjust for color)

Summit
Summit/Cascade
Cascade

Thanks Bob but I was hoping to use the victory or Munich. I was thinking of something like:

Grains:
8lbs 2 row
2lbs Munich
1lb Victory
8oz Crystal 20
8oz CaraPils

Hops:
1.5oz each Summit/cascade combo

Yeast:
Safale 04

I am not sure if I need the CaraPils though, that might be overkill for body/head retention.

I do like your recipe though, nice and easy and I haven't made and ESB yet, if I don't try it this weekend I will put it in the queue for sure.

You know, I was thinking of something involving Munich also. Lovely stuff! I just can't resist the temptation of simplicity.

You know, if you wanted to add a couple pounds of Munich to an ESB recipe, it wouldn't hurt anything. If anything, it'd enhance the maltiness...

Hmm....

:D

Bob

I like to keep it simple. So Ill here ya go:

10lb 2-row
1lb 60L
1lb Munich
1oz Centennial (8.9%AA) 60 min
1oz Centennial (8.9%AA) 15 min
1oz Cascade (5%AA) 5 min
I always recommend to dry hop

Mash @ 152 for 75 min

Brewhouse 68%
S.G. 1.056
IBU 49
SRM 10.5

I am pretty close to that, currently I have modified it to:

8lb 2-row
2lb Munich
1lb 20L

.50oz Summit 60 min
.25oz Cascade 30 min
.25oz Summit 30 min
.25oz Cascade 15 min
.25oz Summit 15 min
.25oz Cascade 1 min
.25oz Summit 1 min
.50oz Cascade Dry Hop
.50oz Summit Dry Hop

I may just continuous hop it once I hit the 30 minute mark.

Sounds tasty:) if you do the continuous hop, let us know how it turns out. Im always trying to get a more hoppy beer. Not so much bitter, but something with great aroma and taste. In fact, I have a hop cone floating in my beer right now:rockin:

I continuous hopped my DFH 60 minute IPA and it had some awesome flavor and aroma. It is a bit more work but it seemed to work really well, the last couple beers I have done have been lacking (I did not continuous hop) so I think I will try it again and see what happens. If you haven't tried the DFH 60 clone, I suggest you do so, it is very very good.

Back