Hybrid Habeneros...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
OK folks, I've discovered that I actually enjoy the flavour of habenero peppers, but I just can't stand their heat; and I ain't getting out of the kitchen.

I know there is a particular variety (the name escapes me at the moment) of jalapeno chile that has all the wonderful jalapeno flavour without the heat & I'm wondering if there is such a variety of habenero with all the flavour & little heat.

Failing the varietal habenero, I'm wondering if there is some way to remove most of the heat from standard habeneros. Pickling in vinegar or brine, aging or drying, I'd even consider malolactic fermentation.

Habeneros do have a lovely flavour, but for me they're just too damned hot. I admit it, I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to hot chiles, but I do like the flavour.
Regards, GF.

IF you remove the seeds and ribs from the habenero (or pretty much any 'hot' pepper) you'll remove a lot of the heat, but leave the flavor in it. I do this when I make my batches of chili. I get a ton of flavor from the hot peppers, without making it an inferno.

I had a professor who grew super hot peppers and what he didn't use or freeze, he stored the rest in olive oil (halved and de-seeded) as it was supposed to draw the heat out of the pepper while still leaving the flavor. The oil from those jars was blisteringly hot, but the peppers were rather tame. They were especially tasty on a sandwich with a dash of vinegar.

Trinidad Peppers - We use them all the time in the restaurant. They are "exactly" like the orange habanero minus the heat. There are ways to make habaneros bearable by the way. Someone already mentioned removing the seeds/veins, but you should also mince them very fine and incorporate to taste in a salsa or side dish. That way, you won't be chewing on big chunks of them and running for that glass of milk.

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?pa...page.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/829143

GF -here's what you're looking for, the Suave pepper. I know someone who grows peppers commercialy. Not sure if he does a powder with Suaves or not, but I'll check.

This looks & sounds like EXACTLY what I'm looking for! This is just AWESOME! Thank you very much! :ban:
Now to find some seeds for these before spring.
Regards, GF.

IF you remove the seeds and ribs from the habenero (or pretty much any 'hot' pepper) you'll remove a lot of the heat, but leave the flavor in it. I do this when I make my batches of chili. I get a ton of flavor from the hot peppers, without making it an inferno.

Thanks, I actually use this technique with other chiles & it works well, but just not enough for the habeneros.
Regards, GF.

Bierhaus15: Thanks for the info, I actually have some habeneros (minus seeds & ribs) in some EVO right now, I was going for chili oil, but I'll have to sample the chiles to see if there is any noticable heat reduction.

Bobbrews: Thanks for the info, looks like there might be some useful info there, I'll have to paruse it & see.
Thanks to you both.
Regards, GF.

Back